Chapter Eighty Nine: Potions, Punishments and The Past

[A/N - just a slight warning there is a small memory of Daisy's past in this chapter but nothing graphic that requires a major tw. It refers back to a previous chapter, just with slightly more detail. As always, if you are affected by anything please do reach out as I am here to listen.]

THE MUNDANE tones of Severus Snape filled the classroom as he wrote furiously on the chalkboard at the front of the room, his handwriting messy as he turned around to face the class

THE MUNDANE tones of Severus Snape filled the classroom as he wrote furiously on the chalkboard at the front of the room, his handwriting messy as he turned around to face the class. "Your OWL exams are only a few months away. I expect many of you to fail given the lack of attention." The professor slammed his hand against the desk as two students chuckled at the back of the room. "Mr Malfoy, care to explain to the rest of the class what is so funny?" The Slytherin student sunk back in his seat as another student continued to laugh. "Miss Snape, I expected better. Five points from Slytherin...from the both of you." The sighs of several students could be heard around the room as the pair pursed their lips, holding back their chatter.

"What is so funny?" Their friends had turned to them as they started their practical work, taking out their cauldrons and gathering their ingredients. They had been given the task to brew a simple sleeping draught, which was bound to come up on their OWL exam.

"Nothing, nothing." Draco shook his head as he looked up at Daisy once more, bursting into a fit of laughter once again. "Right. That's enough. Let's get busy." He breathed in deeply before he opened his fresh textbook. There was a silence across the room until Draco laughed again...and again.

"Mr Malfoy, if this disruption does not stop I will have to move you and we all know that would be a shame." He looked between his daughter and the boy, frowning. He didn't want her to mess up, he knew she was more than capable. "Daisy, please concentrate. Your exams are coming up and you cannot afford to fail them." Severus appeared behind them. As they nodded, Daisy started to weigh the ingredients for the potion, one she had experience brewing before. The professor moved away, satisfied they had understood.

"Really, what's so funny? You're losing us points!" Pansy rolled her eyes, nudging Daisy on the arm. She was two steps behind Daisy, still trying to work out what ingredients she needed.

"It's nothing, really!" Draco spoke up, stirring his caldron as he added the first ingredient.

"Draco is hoping that dear Professor Snape has forgotten about our detention that we got before the holidays. He keeps reminding himself of why we got it in the first place." Daisy rolled her eyes, flattening her sopophorous bean with the blade of her knife.

"And how exactly did you get detention?" Pansy raised an eyebrow. "And why are you crushing the bean? Your dad is right, you need to pay attention to the instructions or you'll fail." She panicked at the girl, pointing to her book. It indeed, did say to cut. However, Daisy's book was annotated with a number of different instructions. Ones her father had given her.