Chapter Ninety: Mass Breakout

DAISY AWOKE rather late, being kept awake for most of the night in a restless slumber

DAISY AWOKE rather late, being kept awake for most of the night in a restless slumber. She had been distracted by a harsh storm that had swept in from the north. The thunder echoed across the grounds as rain still fell harshly from the grey skies. Owls had been swooping low across the land to avoid the strong winds as letters tied to their legs became splotchy with wet ink stains. Ruffled feathers flew in all directions as many of them had decided to take shelter back in the owlery until the storm blew over.

As she had finally got herself ready for the day, she could not find her friends in their dorm or in the common room, accepting that they had left without her for breakfast. As she left towards the great hall, something did not feel right. Students gathered in the corridors clutching onto the Daily Prophet as whispers and gasps were heard amongst them. Daisy saw a glance of the front page, four words headlining with a moving picture of an unruly woman, her thick curly hair matted, rotted teeth and sullied skin lunging towards the camera in heavy, rusted iron chains, her screams echoing as her face turned into a twisted smile. The prominent snake and skull tattoo was inked on her left forearm, the sign of Lord Voldemort. One of his followers.

MASS BREAKOUT FROM AZKABAN

Daisy recognised the woman but could not get a good look enough to put a name to the face. She shrugged her shoulders as she continued further down into the great hall, students gathered around their friends trying to read the news. "Daisy, we wondered if you were okay. You were fast asleep when we left for breakfast. I didn't want to wake you." Pansy greeted her as Daisy looked at the table suspiciously. There was Pansy, Blaise, Crabbe and Goyle. But there was no Draco Malfoy.

"Where's Draco?" Daisy did a double take, her head darting around the great hall as she hoped to see a familiar flash of blonde hair. But she didn't. Draco Malfoy was nowhere to be seen. She took her seat, her expression worried.

"He's still in bed. He received a letter from home late last night and he refuses to leave the dormitories. Won't tell us what's wrong but we have suspicions." Blaise pointed down to the newspaper that was folded next to him. The photograph of the witch staring back at them.

"I don't understand, what's that got to do with Draco?" Daisy tilted her head in confusion, talking a deeper look at the newspaper. She followed the article with her index finger, scanning every word. She got to the last paragraph on the page. She read it over and over.

"It is believed to be the work of notorious mass murderer Sirius Black, cousin of escapee Bellatrix Lestrange."

"Oh my god." Daisy gasped, realisation hitting her. Her godfather's cousin...Bellatrix was Draco's aunt. That was Narcissa's sister. "I'm going to go and check on him. See you guys later." Daisy took a slice of toast as she quickly exited the great hall, heading back toward the Slytherin Common Room. She wasted no time in reaching the room as she muttered the password, scurrying up the staircase as she made her way to the boy's dormitory. Her knuckles gently tapped on the door as she heard a voice from the other side of the door.