Chapter 17: Aftermath

Celestia opened her eyes, she felt dizzy. As her senses return, Celestia finds herself in Harry's arms. Harry was looking at her in concern, there was fear in his eyes.

He breathed in relief when Celestia breathed "harry?"

When celestia spotted Dumbledore, she tried to sit up but Harry held her tightly, "stay still" he says.

"What happened?" Dumbledore asked, his expressions hard.

Celestia frowned, she couldn't understand what he was talking about "what?"

"He attacked us" Krum said suddenly, he was sitting on the ground a little ahead of them, “The old madman attacked me! I vos looking around to see vare Potter had gone and he attacked from behind!”

"Lie still for a moment," said Dumbledore to him.

"What happened, Ms Malfoy" Dumbledore asked again.

"I ..." celestia tried hard to remember but couldn't recall anything "don't know ... I don't remember... Its like there's a blank space. spot. In my head... I can't remember "

Dumbledore frowned in concern.
Harry huged her close in his arms.

The sound of thunderous footfalls reached them, and Hagrid came panting into sight with Fang at his heels.

He was carrying his crossbow. “Professor Dumbledore!” he said, his eyes widening. “Harry - what the -?”

“Hagrid, I need you to fetch Professor Karkaroff,” said Dumbledore. “His student has been attacked. When you've done that, kindly alert Professor Moody -”

      “No need, Dumbledore,” said a wheezy growl. “I'm here.” Moody was limping toward them, leaning on his staff, his wand lit..“Damn leg,” he said furiously. “Would've been here quicker. what's happened? Snape said something about Crouch -”

      “Crouch?” said Hagrid blankly.

      “Karkaroff, please, Hagrid!” said Dumbledore sharply.

“Oh yeah…right y'are, Professor…” said Hagrid, and he turned and disappeared into the dark trees, Fang trotting after him.

“I don't know where Barty Crouch is,” Dumbledore told Moody, “but it is essential that we find him.”

“I'm onto it,” growled Moody, and he pulled out his wand and limped off into the forest.

No one spoke again until they heard the unmistakable sounds of Hagrid and Fang returning. Karkaroff was hurrying along behind them. He was wearing his sleek silver furs, and he looked pale and agitated.

“What is this?” he cried when he saw Krum on the ground and Dumbledore beside him. “What's going on?”

“I vos attacked!” said Krum, sitting up now and rubbing his head. “Malfoy and I were together here, ve vere attacked by Mr. Crouch or votever his name -”

      “Crouch attacked you? Crouch attacked you? The Triwizard judge?”

“Igor,” Dumbledore began, but Karkaroff had drawn himself up, clutching his furs around him, looking livid.

“Treachery!” he bellowed, pointing at Dumbledore. “It is a plot! You and your Ministry of Magic have lured me here under false pretenses, Dumbledore! This is not an equal competition! First you sneak Potter into the tournament, though he is underage! Now one of your Ministry friends attempts to put my champion out of action! I smell double-dealing and corruption in this whole affair, and you, Dumbledore, you, with your talk of closer international wizarding links, of rebuilding old ties, of forgetting old differences - here's what I think of you!”

Karkaroff spat onto the ground at Dumbledore's feet. In one swift movement, Hagrid seized the front of Karkaroff's furs, lifted him into the air, and slammed him against a nearby tree.

“Apologize!” Hagrid snarled as Karkaroff gasped for breath, Hagrid's massive fist at his throat, his feet dangling in midair.

      “Hagrid, no!” Dumbledore shouted, his eyes flashing.

Hagrid removed the hand pinning Karkaroff to the tree, and Karkaroff slid all the way down the trunk and slumped in a huddle at its roots; a few twigs and leaves showered down upon his head.

“Kindly escort Harry and Ms Malfoy back up to the castle, Hagrid,” said Dumbledore sharply.

Breathing heavily, Hagrid gave Karkaroff a glowering look.

“Maybe I'd better stay here. Headmaster.…”

“You will take Harry and Ms Malfoy back to school, Hagrid,” Dumbledore repeated firmly. “Take him right up to Gryffindor Tower and escort Ms Malfoy to the hospital wing, And Harry - I want you to stay there. Anything you might want to do - any owls you might want to send - they can wait until morning, do you understand me?”

“Er - yes,” said Harry,

“I'll leave Fang with yeh. Headmaster,” Hagrid said, staring menacingly at Karkaroff, who was still sprawled at the foot of the tree, tangled in furs and tree roots. “Stay, Fang. C'mon, Harry. Malfoy.”

Harry helped Celestia up to her feet, Celestia didn't miss to notice the inquiring look Hagrid and Dumbledore shoot in their way.

They marched in silence past the Beauxbatons carriage and up toward the castle.

“How dare he,” Hagrid growled as they strode past the lake. “How dare he accuse Dumbledore. Like Dumbledore'd do anythin' like that. Like Dumbledore wanted you in the tournament in the firs' place. Worried! I dunno when I seen Dumbledore more worried than he's bin lately. An' you!” Hagrid suddenly said angrily to Harry, who looked up at him, taken aback. “What were yeh doin', wanderin' off with ruddy Krum? He's from Durmstrang, Harry! Coulda jinxed yeh right there, couldn he? Hasn' Moody taught yeh nothin'? 'Magine lettin him lure yeh off on yer own -”

“Krum's all right!” said Harry as they climbed the steps into the entrance hall. “He wasn't trying to jinx me, he just wanted to talk about Hermione -”

“I'll be havin' a few words with her, an' all,” said Hagrid grimly, stomping up the stairs. “The less you lot 'ave ter do with these foreigners, the happier yeh'll be. Yeh can trust any of 'em.”

“You were getting on all right with Madame Maxime,” Harry said, annoyed. “Don' you talk ter me abou' her!” said Hagrid, and he looked quite frightening for a moment. “I've got her number now! Tryin' ter get back in me good books, tryin' ter get me ter tell her what's comin in the third task. Ha! You can' trust any of'em! Anyways wha's was Malfoy doin' there with you huh?”

"I asked her to accompany me" Harry replied shortly. "She came because I asked her to"

Celestia grabbed Harry's hand tightly, her mind still blank and Hagrid's voice was causing her headache. They dropped her off to the hospital wing and left. She was told to stay for the night. After half an hour, Harry returned under his invisibility cloak.