Chapter 41: Mourning Seraphina

Celestia was suddenly jolted awake by the sound of locks fluttering outside her room. Startled, she sat up in bed, her heart pounding in her chest. Glancing at the clock, she noted that it was past three in the morning. With a sense of unease settling over her, Celestia grabbed her wand as she moved cautiously toward the doorway. However, before she could react, the door flew open, revealing Mrs. Blanchard standing on the other side. Celestia couldn't fathom why the woman was there at such an hour.

"What are you doing here?" Celestia demanded, her voice laced with irritation as she cautiously raised her wand.

Mrs. Blanchard's expression was grave as she looked at Celestia's raised wand. "If you want to know the truth, you'll have to come with me," she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

Confusion clouded Celestia's mind, but her curiosity got the better of her. With a wary nod, she followed Mrs. Blanchard as they made their way through the dimly lit corridors of Blanchard Manor.

The silence of the night seemed to weigh heavily upon them as they ascended the staircase, their footsteps echoing in the empty halls.

As they reached the West tower, Celestia guessed that Mrs. Blanchard was leading her towards the sick woman, Seraphina. She couldn't understand why her mother hadn't allowed her to visit.

Stopping before a heavy wooden door on the second floor, Mrs. Blanchard produced a key and unlocked the door, removing the thick chain that secured it. With a creak, the door swung open, revealing a small, sparsely furnished room. Inside, there was a single bed, a wardrobe, and three chairs. The walls were plain and bare, illuminated dimly by the moonlight filtering through a small window with bars on it.

But it was the figure lying on the bed that caught Celestia's attention. A woman with red hair and pale, smooth skin lay there, her form wracked with pain. As soon as she saw Celestia, she attempted to sit up from the bed, but her efforts were in vain. Her face and body were covered with big red boils, and she looked to be in agony.

Mrs. Blanchard lit the candles, casting a flickering light across the room. Celestia's gaze was drawn to the sick woman on the bed.

"Who is she?" Celestia asked, her voice barely a whisper as she took in the sight before her.

Mrs. Blanchard's gaze hardened as she looked at the woman on the bed. "This is Seraphina," she said quietly. "Your aunt."

Celestia's eyes widened in shock as she realized the truth. This was the woman she had heard from Abraxas, the woman who had been hidden away in Blanchard Manor for so long. But nothing could have prepared her for the sight of her aunt, lying there in such a state of suffering.

"What happened to her?" Celestia asked, her voice filled with concern.

Mrs. Blanchard sighed heavily. "She's been ill for a long time," she said, her voice wasn't tinged with sadness, she almost sounded pleased, "she won't survive for long."

As Celestia looked at her aunt, she felt a surge of emotions wash over her. Here was a woman who had been cast aside and forgotten, hidden away from the world by her own family. And yet, despite her suffering, there was a flicker of defiance in Seraphina's eyes, a spark of resilience that refused to be extinguished.

Gathering her courage, Celestia stepped forward, reaching out to take Seraphina's hand in her own. But Mrs. Blanchard slapped her hand away abruptly, warning, "Don't touch her. She may be contagious."

The sick woman tried to speak, but no words came out. Celestia stood there awkwardly, debating whether to leave or not.

"You are beautiful," the woman said suddenly, her voice clear but weak.