Chapter 25: Welcome Feast

The Entrance Hall was ablaze with torches and echoing with footsteps as the students crossed the flagged stone floor for the double doors to the right, leading to the Great Hall and the start-of-term feast.

The four long house tables in the Great Hall were filling up under the starless black ceiling, which was just like the sky they could glimpse through the high windows. Candles floated in midair all along the tables, illuminating the silvery ghosts who were dotted about the Hall and the faces of the students talking eagerly, exchanging summer news, shouting greetings at friends from other houses, eyeing one another's new haircuts and robes.

Celestia hurriedly walked past the Hufflepuff table towards her own house, Draco sat with Crabe and Goyle. Blaise Zabini, Theodore Nott sat a little ahead with Pansy Parkinson trying to shift towards Draco. Celestia noticed Daphne had saved a seat for her.

"Where were you?" Draco asked as soon as she sat. Accusingly, "we looked all over for you, Davies said she saw you getting on carriage with Potter"

Celestia lied, "there was a first year who got left behind, poor thing was trembling; Potter's carriage was the last one there, you expect me to ruin my designers heels by walking?"

Draco immediately nodded, "Correct, I know you wouldn't like company of those blood-traitors anyways, Saint Potter and his lot, wait till father hears about Potter not getting prefect, oh I was so glad when he did magic, wish he was expelled."

Celestia nodded absentmindedly

"Did you see, Harry Potter was wearing Sovereign Silhouettes on platform," said Daphne, "wonder from where he got it from, All I have ever seen him wearing in last four years is rags"

Celestia looked away.

"Sovereign Silhouettes?" Asked Goyle.

"Its a famous clothing brand" said Pansy in dismissal.

"Sirius Black is on lose" said Draco, smirking in delight, "he might have got it for Potter, probably took pity on him"

After the Sorting hats song, which was depressing in Celestia's opinion, the hat gave warning for the danger that is to arise. Soon the sorting began and the feast started.

Celestia ate with her peers, making jokes, discussing about ths trip to Paris and the fasion icons. Ger gaze occasionally lingering on gryffindorsm table, Harry never looked at her once. He was talking with his friends the entire time.

When all the students had finished eating and the noise level in the Hall was starting to creep upwards again, Dumbledore got to his feet.

Talking ceased immediately as all turned to lace the Headmaster.

"Well, now that we are all digesting another magnificent feast, I beg a few moments of your attention for the usual start-of-term notices,' said Dumbledore. 'First-years ought to know that the Forest in the grounds is out-of-bounds to students - and a few of our older students ought to know by now, too.'

'Mr Filch, the caretaker, has asked me, for what he tells me is the four-hundred-and-sixty-second time, to remind you all that magic is not permitted in corridors between classes, nor are a number of other things, all of which can be checked on the extensive list now fastened to Mr Filch's office door.

'We have had two changes in staffing this year. We are very pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who will be taking Care of Magical Creatures lessons; we are also delighted to introduce Professor Umbridge, our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher.'

There was a round of polite but fairly unenthusiastic applause, Dumbledore continued, 'Tryouts for the house Quidditch teams will take place on the -'

He broke off, looking enquiringly at Professor Umbridge. As she was not much taller than sitting, there was a moment when nobody understood why Dumbledore had stopped talking, but then Professor Umbridge cleared her throat, 'Hem, hem,' and it became clear that she had got to her feet and was intending to make a speech.