Chapter 26: Confessions

The following morning marked the commencement of classes, and as the Slytherins gathered around the breakfast table, the air was thick with a palpable sense of discontent.

Each fifth-year Slytherin wore a stoic expression, seemingly perturbed by the mere sound of utensils clinking against plates.

Among them, Celestia Malfoy couldn't shake off the throbbing headache and sour mood, attributing it to a probable hangover. Her attention momentarily shifted from her discomfort as she caught Harry's gaze, his expression a mix of longing and confusion. Before she could dwell on it further, Theodore Nott discreetly slipped her a vial of potion beneath the table, his proximity making her uneasy.

"It'll help you think clearly," Theodore murmured, his breath sending a shiver down Celestia's spine.

Accepting the vial, Celestia hesitated before opening it, her senses tingling with anticipation. A smile broke across her face as she identified the familiar scent. "Hangover potion," she exclaimed, enveloping Theodore in a grateful embrace. The bitter taste of the potion lingered as she downed it in one gulp, earning disapproving glares from their Slytherin peers.

As they shuffled into their first class of the day, Transfiguration, Celestia settled in the back, her mind still reeling from the effects of the potion. As the bell rang, Celestia breathed in relief, to her surprise, Henry sat beside her, a melancholic smile playing on his lips.

"I didn't notice to see you here," Celestia remarked, her curiosity piqued by his presence.

Henry returned the smile, though it failed to reach his eyes. "I noticed you and your friends weren't quite yourselves today. Late night parties, perhaps?"

Winking in response, Celestia gathered her belongings, eager for the next class-Double Potions-and the chance to encounter Harry once more. With a wave to Henry, she made her exit, anticipation bubbling within her.

'Settle down,' said Snape coldly, shutting the door behind him. As soon as he entered the classroom, the class was already filled with students.

There was no real need for the call to order; the moment the class had heard the door close, quiet had fallen and all fidgeting stopped. Snape's mere presence was usually enough to ensure a class's silence.

Celestia noticed Harry was sitting at the back of the classroom, while, she with the rest of the Slytherins sat in front. Celestia decided not to pay him any mind.

The class started with Snape's lecture on about OWLs and the scores they'll require to continue potions on NEWTs level. Celestia was having a good time until Snape started to pick on Harry.

As Snape swept by everyone's cauldron, he looked down his hookedbnose at it without comment, which meant he could find nothing to criticise. At Harry's cauldron, however, Snape stopped. "Potter, what is this supposed to be?"

The Slytherins all sat in front of the class and looked up eagerly; they loved hearing Snape taunt Harry.

"The Draught of Peace," said Harry tensely.

"Tell me, Potter," said Snape softly, "can you read?"

Draco laughed.

"Yes, I can," said Harry.

"Read the third line of the instructions for me, Potter."

Harry squinted at the blackboard,
'"Add powdered moonstone, stir three times counter-clockwise, allow to simmer for seven minutes then add two drops of syrup of hellebore."'

'Did you do everything on the third line, Potter?'

'No,' said Harry very quietly.

'I beg your pardon?'