♪ Chapter 23 ♪

It was silent

It was silent.

Neither of them knew what to say to fill up the silence. And they didn't need to. Jisung and Yunchae were comfortable just sitting in each others' presence. They didn't need to come up with conversations every few seconds or become awkward just because it was silent.

As they sat side by side, the silence between them felt natural. A peaceful break from the noise and chaos of the world around them. It was a moment of quiet connection, a reminder that sometimes, the most meaningful conversations happen without words.

Feeling a vibration, Yunchae checked her phone before feeling a jolt of panic shoot through her. She was late for practice!... again! Her eyes widened in alarm as she hastily gathered her belongings, her heart pounding in her chest.

"Jisung, I'm so sorry. I'm late for practice, so I'll have to go. I'll text you later though," Yunchae apologised, her voice tinged with urgency as she rushed to her feet.

"All good, don't worry about it. I'm going to head to the cafeteria anyway," Jisung replied, his tone understanding as he flashed her a reassuring smile.

"Thank you, and thanks for the snacks," Yunchae smiled gratefully, her cheeks flushing slightly as she remembered the thoughtful gesture.

With a quick glance at the sky, Yunchae waved to Jisung before turning to sprint to the practice room. However, she had to slow down to avoid tripping on the stairs, her mind racing with thoughts of the training session ahead.

For the past hour or two, Jisung and Yunchae had been sitting on the rooftop, munching on snacks as they gazed at the clouds. They had ended up in an interesting conversation about aliens and popular beliefs.

"My hyungs can be really mean sometimes. Did you watch the video where Jaemin told me that Santa wasn't real? Can you believe him?" Jisung exclaimed, his eyes wide with mock indignation.

"Of course Santa is real! What is he talking about!?" Yunchae exclaimed, her laughter bubbling up as she agreed with Jisung.

However, Yunchae was brought back to the present by the voices of Mark, Jeno, and Donghyuck, who were searching for Jisung.

"He should be at the cafeteria," Yunchae called out over her shoulder, her voice echoing down the hallway as she sprinted away.

The three boys watched her go, their expressions a mix of surprise and confusion.

Donghyuck was the first to speak, his voice filled with curiosity. "Wait, how do you-!?" he began, but before he could finish his question, Mark quickly covered his mouth.

"Thanks, Yunchae!" Mark called out. He gave Yunchae a grateful smile before turning to head to the cafeteria.

Jeno nodded in agreement, his eyes following Yunchae as she disappeared from sight. "Yeah, thanks!" he added, his voice carrying down the hallway as he and Donghyuck followed Mark's lead.