Chapter 4: Justin?

It has been a week since we moved back to Berk. My dad already finished unpacking his luggage and other things that we brought. He even redecorate the house, moving our appliances and furniture in the house. 

While I, on the other hand, was just finishing up unpacking my things from their boxes and arranging it inside my room. It took me around two hours to finish unpacking all my boxes. 

I sat down on my bed to take a breather, "How are you bud?" I asked Toothless, who was chilling in his new bed, it purred as I stroked my hand around his head. I stood up and continued cleanup the empty boxes when something dropped to the floor, I was curious of what it was so I picked it up and it was an article from my previous school's paper.

It reads:

Hiccup Haddock III and the Old Thor Middle School are this year's champions of the Inter-School Championship as they defeat the this year's favorites, Nilheim Middle School, 95 to 94.

Old Thor Middle School was trailing 2 points with only 8 seconds left on the clock.

Old Thor Middle School called their last timeout and they need to cover the whole length of the floor. Old Thor Middle School was never a contender but Henry 'Hiccup' Haddock III changed all that. He was a part of Old Thor Middle School Football team last year but changed sports this year and it seemed he has found his true calling. Henry brought his team to its very first final appearance and are only seconds away from grabbing their very first championship.

Haddock III took over the tournament averaging an astounding; 32 pts., 9 asts., 5 rebs., and 3 stls. over eight games. Hiccup Haddock III even had a 50 point game on their second game which is truly unbelievable for a middle schooler to achieve.

Currently he has 47 pts., 8 asts., 8 rebs., and 4 stls.

Hiccup Haddock III was doing it all for Old Thor Middle School. Those are topnotch numbers for not only a middle schooler but any basketball player.

Nilheim Middle School has been leading all game long and were the favorites to win it all. With a tight full court press, Haddock III gets the ball as the time winds down, he moves past defender after defender through screens set up by his teammates. 

He got past the half court line and immediately releases the ball and... and..., To quote the commentators of the game; "Haddock for the win? BANG!". The crowd erupted and Hiccup was tackled by all of his teammates. It was a fairytale ending for the middle school of Hiccup Haddock III.

Old Thor Middle School end up winning 95 to 94. Hiccup Haddock III ended up with 50 big points carrying his squad to their very first championship.

- - - - - 

Just reading it all again made the hairs on my arm stand up and goosebumps appeared all over my body, I still remember the feeling of the ball leaving my hand and as I look at the ball traveling in the air towards the hoop, it was dead silent but then the only thing that was heard inside the gym was the net swishing as the ball gets in.

I remembered looking for mom and dad and I saw my mom smiling at me then when I saw my teammates running towards me with huge smiles on their faces that was when it all hit me, we won.

"I missed that feeling." I said while looking at my hand which started trembling because of the events I remembered.

After all the reminiscing and strolling down memory lane, I put the news article inside my bedside drawer. I continued picking up the boxes from the floor.

I was making my way towards the front door carrying a couple stacks of boxes.

"Finally!" my dad commented sarcastically and I just smiled. I went out and looked around for a garbage bin.  "There you are." I saw one in front of the house beside us.

I was figuring out how to fit it all in the garbage bin when I heard a shout, "Hey dude!", I looked around and I saw someone swaying there hands vigorously.

I thought it was for someone else so I looked behind me and when I saw no one there, I looked at him and I saw him pointing at something and I saw a basketball bouncing towards my direction at a quick pace, "Oh!" I realized what he meant so I just smashed all the boxes in and stopped the ball from bouncing away.

He started walking towards my direction and when I got a better look at him I realized that he was tall. I'm about 5'9" to 5'10" and he was almost a foot taller than me.

"Thanks dude!" he said, "No problem." I replied handing him the ball, I suddenly felt a sense of familiarity. 

"I know this is strange but do we know each other?" I asked him, "It's weird. I'm getting the same feeling." he replied, "Do you live there?" pointing at our house, "Uh. Yeah. Wait! Fishlegs?" I asked him, "Hiccup?" he asked, "Yeah. That's me." I told him, "I didn't recognize you at first?" I remarked, "I can say the same. Nice seeing you again." he smiled. 

"I heard what happened to you mom. I'm sorry." he said, "Thanks.", "So you play basketball, huh?", "Sometimes. Do you play?", "A little.", "How about we play at my house like back in the day.", "Yeah. Let's do that." we conversed a bit before he went back to his house. "Welcome back, Hiccup." he said smiling while he was walking away.

The next day, I went to Fishlegs's house. I knocked their door and his mom greeted me, "Hiccup, is that you?", "Uh hi. Aunt Terma. Nice to see you again.", "Nice to see you too. What can I do for you?" she asked, "Is Fishlegs home?" I responded, "JUSTIN! HICCUP IS LOOKING FOR YOU." she shouted and I was sure the whole neighbor hood heard her then I saw Fishlegs running down the stairs, "Hiccup. Come on, let's go to the backyard." he told me, "Thank you Aunt Terma." I smiled, "Enjoy." she replied as I followed Fishlegs to their backyard. 

"I forgot that your name was Justin." I smirked, "Only my mom calls me that. Most people call me 'Frank' nowadays so hearing 'Fishlegs' again is kinda refreshing." he told me as he threw me a ball,  "First to 21?" he asked, "You're on." answered. 

Fishlegs and I were resting after finishing five 1v1 games in a row, "You're lying, aren't you? he asked as he catch his breath, "Lying?" I was wiping off the sweat from my arm, "There's no way you've been only playing basketball for a year.", "I am. I played football most of my life because I wanted to be just like my dad but I fell in love with basketball because of my mom." I explained.

"You attend at Berk Institute, right?" I questioned, he nodded, "Have you thought of joining their men's basketball team?", "No, not really. I get tired easily.", "That's not a problem. I'll train with you.", "Don't tell me you're going to try-out for the team." he commented, "Yes I am. Do you want to try out with me?" I asked, he was reluctant at first, "Why not." he agreed. 

"Oh yeah. Do you still hangout with the others?" I asked him, "Others?" he furrowed his eyebrows,  "You know, Snot-something, the twins, and Astrid." I added and he looked at me like I was crazy, "What?" I was confused of his reaction.

"It's not possible anymore. Everyone changed." he said, "Changed? What do you mean?" I inquired, "Everyone changed. Snotlout is considered the next 'Stoick the Vast' of the Berk Institute Chiefs after leading the Berk Middle School Football team to three championships in a row. He also became a bigger douchebag. The twins are eyed to be the next players for the Berk Institute Valkyries to play alongside Astrid this school year and Ast-", "Wait! The twins are girls?" I cut him off, "Yeah. Don't tell me you thought they were dudes when we were young?" he looked at me, "In my defense, there was nothing girly about them. They roll around mud and set each other on fire." I defended myself.

"Please continue." I told him, "Alright. Where was I? Oh right. Astrid, she's already ranked as number one female high school basketball player in the nation and the school year hasn't even started yet and everyone already expects that the Berk Institute Valkyries will be champions this year since she's at the helm." he told me.

"So do you know understand why I can't just hangout with them anymore?" he added, "I guess it's a good thing I came back." I replied, "Yeah. I miss the good old days." Fishlegs stated, "Don't worry. Our names will be the talk of the nation when the season starts, I'll make sure of that." I declared and Fishlegs started laughing, "Is it strange that I feel like you'll actually make it happen?", I smiled at what he said.