Chapter 21: Dating? Us?

I woke up this morning, thinking that everything is right in the world but as the day continued, I was really wrong and it just gotten worse by the second. 

The first problem was when the article and photo was published then at this moment, I'm currently standing in front of the most popular girl not only in school but the whole nation and her friends are confronting me with a dating rumor.

I stood there dumbfounded of why they were there, I thought I just needed to hide the fact that I know Astrid because it might cause problems for her and me, "They wanted to meet you." she told me, "Me? Why?" I wondered at first but I thought about the article then Astrid whispered to me, "They think that we're dating.", my eyes widened, "WHAT?!" I exclaimed in my head.

"Dating? Us?" I whispered back to Astrid and I saw the girls standing behind her, giving me teasing looks, "Yeah! They told me that they want to see the person that took my heart." she replied smiling.

"What did you told them?" I asked her, "I told them that we're not dating but they don't seem to believe me." she replied, "This is a big problem." I muttered, "Problem? Hey. Why do I get the feeling that you're insulted by it." she glared at me.

"That's not what I meant. I'm worried that you're insulted by it." I told her, "Why would I? You're a good guy." she told me while smiling, I felt my face heat up.

"Hey love birds! We're still here, you know." I heard Heather declared, "What should I tell them?" I asked Astrid, "Don't worry about it." she told me before turning towards her friends, she gestured me to follow her.

"So how did the two of you meet?" Amanda asked, "We already knew each other since we grew up together alongside with the twins." I replied, "Who realized first that they have feelings for each other?" Amanda joined,  "I never knew that you liked each other when were kids." Tasia followed, "We're really not dating." I told them but the look in their eyes portrays doubt upon my words. 

"Astrid tell them." I asked her to clarify the misunderstanding, "We met again after years of no communication when I stumbled upon his notebook." Astrid told them, "Woah! Just like the start of a Rom-Com movie." Rebecca stated looking at me, "What the hell is she doing?" I thought while looking at her. 

"Uhm... Astrid, can we talk?" I pulled her aside away from the eyes of the other, "Why are you not telling them that we're not dating?" I asked her, I saw her took a deep breath before exhaling.

"I just think it might be much easier to play along so that they will leave my case." she said, I looked at her confused. 

"They been onto me for a while, they're thinking I might fall for some douchebag... again." Astrid said, "And there this situation with Snotlout." she added, "Wait! If you're thinking that I could beat up Snotlout , you'll need to find another. Have you ever seen me? I stand no chance against him.", "What? No! I'm not asking you to fight anybody, just your help in..." there was a long pause.

"Acting as my boyfriend." she continued, I froze when I heard her spoke those words. I blanked out because I don't know what to reply to what she said, "Hey Hiccup?" I felt a nudge on my shoulder which pulled me out of my trance.

I looked at Astrid and all I see is her pleading eyes, "I'm sorry to suddenly drop this on you. It's just been hard and annoying to deal with Snotlout. Maybe if he thinks I've got a boyfriend already, he might finally leave me alone.",  "L-let me think about it first." I was able to give here a reply, I turned to the door of the gym and walked outside.

All I can think of was, "What's happening?", "Did she really ask me that?" I was pacing back and forth in front of their gym, "Isn't this asking a bit too much? Being a 'fake boyfriend'?" I debated with myself, "Wouldn't this just cause me unwanted attention especially since she's the face of Women's High school basketball and a well-known sports figure in the nation?" I continued asking myself as I looked at her huge banner.