Chapter 13: Eye for an Eye

I was staring at my book, still thinking about what happened in the hallway earlier.

"Hey man, you okay? Classes ended ten minutes ago and you're still looking at your book." I felt a tap on my shoulder, "Oh yeah, just thinking about something." I sat up and saw nobody was inside the classroom anymore.

"You don't need to lie to me. You know that I know what you are really thinking about." he told me, "Huh? I don't know what you're talking about. I'm not thinking about Astrid or how Astrid ignored us in the hallway or how she didn't even acknowledge our presence just because she's famous!" I slammed my book close, "I'm not thinking about that. I was thinking about something different." I let out a breath before I packed up my things and walked out the room, "Hey! Wait for me." I heard Fishlegs shouted from behind.

"Do you want to go to 'THE PIT'? You know, vent out some of your anger to another unsuspecting person?" Fishlegs asked, I shook my head.

"I'm not in the mood to play but you can still go if you want." I told him, "Nah... I'll just lose money if you're not there." he replied which made me smile.

"So where do you want to go?" he followed with a question, "I don't know... Home, maybe?" I answered, "Let's just hang out at my house and order some food." Fishlegs suggested, "That's a good idea." I agreed.

- - - - -

"I'll meet you there. I'll change first into something comfortable. Skinny jeans are kinda restricting." I told Fishlegs before going inside the house, "I'm home." I greeted and there was no one there, "Dad? Dad!" I shouted,, "I'm here son!" I heard a shout in reply, "Where are you?", "Backyard." I walked towards the backyard and I saw him digging and planting flowers in the garden.

"New hobby?" I asked, "Yeah. I needed something to do." he replied, "You're particularly early today." he stated, "I was just not in the mood to stay out late." I replied, "Oh but I'll be hanging out with Fishlegs at his house." I continued, "I thought you didn't want to stay out late.", "This is different." I smiled in reply, "Alright." he told me as I walked back inside and up to my room.

"Toothless, I'm home!" I exclaimed and I saw a ball of black fur came out under my blanket, "What are you doing there?" I asked as I picked him up and moved him to his bed, "This is your bed. That's one is mine." I told him and he purred in reply, I put some food and water in his bowl before undressing and changing clothes. 

I arrived at Fishlegs's backyard, "Hey man, I'm here." I called, "Come in. It's open." I opened the gate and I saw him sitting by a table in front of the basketball court.

I sat beside him, "Can you go and order some pizza and fried chicken?" I asked him, "Sure, no problem. Since its your treat." he smiled as he started dialing in his phone, "Oh. Don't forget drinks." and he showed me a thumbs up as he was making the call. While Fishlegs was ordering, I walked towards the court.

I picked up the ball, dribbled it a bit before shooting the ball. I continuing shooting the ball as Fishlegs joined me.

"So do you want to talk about what's been bugging you?" he asked while rebounding the ball, "If you're referring to what happened this afternoon, No, there's nothing to talk about." I grabbed the rebound and passed him back the ball, he just looked at me with an eyebrow raised like he was saying "Really?", "Okay... Okay..." I remarked as I got the ball.

"I am pissed." I was looking at the ball, "I just don't understand why she ignored us." I continued telling Fishlegs, "Is it because she's famous and she doesn't want to be associated with people like us?", "I don't know. I've never been popular." I laughed at his response then I heard someone say "Delivery!".

"Yes! Finally the food is here. I can't take this awkward atmosphere anymore." I ran towards the gate to pay for the food, I brought in the order and put on the table and Fishlegs took out the food out of the bag they were in.

We started eating, I was testing out the cheese pull on the pizza and enjoying the crunchy texture of the fried chicken.

The two of us went through all the food with ease, "That hits the spot!" I heard Fishlegs screamed in joy, "You can say that again." I agreed with him, I laid back on the camper chair that we were sitting on.

"So how is she really when you two were playing?" I turned my head towards Fishlegs's direction, "She was really fun to be with. I really enjoyed playing against her. The Astrid in the hallway this afternoon and was really different from the Astrid I was playing against.", "You're lucky that you've seen another side of her.", "I don't want to think about it anymore, it just pisses me off more.", "Alright. Alright. Let's just enjoy the rest of the night." Fishlegs stated as he put his hands behind his head.

I went home at around 9 pm and I was doing some exercises and home work-outs, I cleaned up a bit, played with Toothless before jumping to bed. 

While laying down, my mind kept reminding me of how differently she acted, "I really thought there was a connection between us."

- - - - - 

The last class of the day just ended and I was preparing to go home when I saw Fishlegs slid in the room, "HICCUP!" he exclaimed while he was running out of breath, "Yeah?" I asked, "Good, you're still here. The application forms for the try-outs for the basketball team are out.", "Really?", "Here." he gave me one, "Let's fill this out before we leave." Fishlegs instructed and we both sat down and started filling it out.

We were walking towards the area where they were giving the application forms for all the sports try-outs, "Hiccup, it's over here." I followed Fishlegs and I saw a table with a paper attached to it and it says 'Basketball'.

"Here's our app-" I was about to say when I saw who was attending the table, it was Astrid. 

"Hello Fishlegs. Hello Hiccup. Here for the try-outs?" she greeted, "Yeah... Here." Fishlegs handed his application form to her while I reached across the table and handed my form to the other person she's with, "Here's mine. Thanks." I smiled at her, I noticed her looking at Astrid, maybe she's thinking why I gave it to her when Astrid was right in front of me.

"Uhm... The try-outs will be held Friday next week. Be sure to bring proper basketball attire, your own water, and your best self. We hope that you'll be part of the 'Dragons'." she smiled, "Thank you." I told her before walking away.

"What was that?" Fishlegs asked when he caught up to me, "What was what" I asked, acting like I didn't know what he meant, "You know what I'm talking about. You straight up ignored her." he replied, "Ignored who?" I told him, "Wow. You are one scary dude." he remarked.

"Friday... We'll need to train hard." I told him, he nodded, "Let's head to 'THE PIT'.", "Alright." Fishlegs started to speed up his walking as we raced out of the gate. 

When we got to 'THE PIT', I saw a blonde girl with her hair braided and I got reminded of her. Thinking about her pissed me off, I didn't even realize that I was clenching my fist as tightly as I can as we walked towards the courts.

I was sitting on a bench looking at the court and watching the game, "What happened to your hand?" Fishlegs asked and I looked at it, "Oh. Blood." I commented at the nail-shaped wounds on my hands, "This is nothing. I think it is because I clenched my fist earlier." I continued, "You know, I still think about earlier. I don't know if I should feel good or bad about what you did to her." Fishlegs recalled, "I did nothing wrong. I just did what she did to me. If she acts that she doesn't know me then I'll act the same." I told him as I tied my laces.

"I know that but it still makes me feel bad. I don't know anyone who could do what you did, you just ignored her, Astrid Hofferson, the number 1 ranked female high school player in the nation." I felt Fishlegs patting my shoulder, "You're awesome." he said in a sarcastic way before walking towards the court.