Chapter 24: Headband

As we sat there under the midday sun, I pulled two drinks from the paper bag I brought and offered it to her, "Thank you." she accepted it. 

"Seriously, why did you ask to see me?" I asked her, "Oh... right. I wanted to give you something." she said, "If it's okay I wanted you to use it during the try-outs." she added, "Okay?" I scrunched my eyebrows, "Why did you sounded unsure? It's not something shady, trust me." she clarified, "Okay. If I can, I will do it." I replied, I saw her pull something from her bag, "Can you wear this on your try-outs?" I saw a ninja-style headband on her hand.

"Isn't this the one you always wear in your games?" I asked her, "How did you know about that?" she looked surprise when I told her about that, "I watched some of your games in YouTube." I told her, "So will you use it?" she asked, "If I wear this, I'm sure everyone will put two and two together." I told her.

"If I attend the try-outs, it will be much easier the piece everything together, don't you think?" Astrid responded, "Yeah, you're right. After today, we'll be official." I stated, "Yup. What do you think, should we or should we not?" Astrid leaned closer and asked, "Let's do this." I took the headband and put it inside my bag.

"Have you eaten lunch yet?" I asked her, "No, actually. I'm getting something to eat after this." Astrid answered, "Here." I took out two sandwiches from the paper, "How thoughtful of you." she teased.

"That's the least I can do for my girlfriend." she looked at me with wide eyes, "What? Are we not in that stage yet?" I asked her, "I was just surprised that you call me that first." she nodded in approval.

"It's time for them to know the guy who took the 'Valkyrie's' heart." I declared with a smiling face, she rested her head on my shoulder, "Yeah, it's time." she replied as we eat our sandwiches. "But let's do that after the try-outs." I whispered and I heard her snicker.

- - - - -

All the classes ended this day and all I needed to do is to come to the tryouts, Me and Fishlegs decided to change in the classroom before going to the gym, "You ready?" I asked him while he was tying his shoelaces, "As ready as I'll ever be." he told me.

We went out the classroom and were heading to the gym, I saw other students from different grades and classes, standing in the hallway, all of them in basketball gears.

"Are they all going to the try-outs?" I asked Fishlegs, "Yeah, it seems." he looked along the hallway, "I thought that the Men's Basketball isn't famous here in Berk Institute?" I followed, "It's not that it isn't famous. Every year, many students try out, it's just the team is quite bad." Fishlegs explained, I nodded in reply.

The phone in my hand suddenly vibrated which made me look at my phone, "It must be your 'milady'." Fishlegs told me with a wide grin on his face, I turned my back from him and accepted the call.

"Hello...", "Look behind you.", I turned around and I saw her standing with her friends, "Why aren't you wearing the headband?", "I'll wear it later when the try-outs begin.", I just continued walking as I conversed with Astrid.

"Nervous?", "Kinda.", "Don't worry! I'll be there watching you.", "Thanks. I'll see you later." I smiled as I put the phone down, "I really wished that I have something like that as well." Fishlegs sulked at my side, "You'll find someone. Don't worry." I patted his back as we both enter the gym.

It was only the try-outs but there were still spectators in the stands. I went to one of the benches and put my things down, "This is really it." Fishlegs said, "Let's do our best." we fist bumped with each other.

Other participants started to fill the gym and also the number of the spectators grew as well, then I saw a middle-aged man accompanied by 3 students, who I think are part of the current roster, walked to the the center of the court, I kinda did a double take on the middle-aged man, he seemed familiar but I could put my finger on it.