Chapter 18: Training Session

I immediately sat as soon as I heard my alarm went off, even with my eyes half-closed I managed to walked to the bathroom and wash my face.

I changed my clothes into something comfortable to play with, I took a hoodie to battle the cold breeze of the early morning, I went outside, stretched a bit, and waited for Fishlegs. 

Then I saw him, wearing a gray hoodie and black shorts, jogging out of their house, "Good morning, Hiccup." he greeted, "Good morning. Ready?" I asked and he nodded and we started to jog.

We maintained a casual pace as we moved around town, we ran around for about an hour and thirty minutes and stopped at the park to rest. 

"I actually ran for an hour without any breaks." Fishlegs said in disbelief, "If this was back in the summer, I wouldn't be able to run from my bedroom to the backyard without catching my breath in the living room." he added, "Hard work pays off." I said, "You are a life changer, Hiccup." he replied, "We're just getting started." I grinned when I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, I checked and it was a message from Astrid.

"Are you free?" I read, "Yep. Why?" I asked, "Do you want to train with me? Also there's someone I liked you to meet." she replied, "Could I take Fishlegs with me?" I asked, "Sorry but boys aren't allowed in the Women's Basketball Gym and you're already an exception. Maybe next time." she texted, "What time?", "Now... Sorry for the late notice.", "Okay. I'll be there." I put my phone back in my pocket and made my way to Fishlegs.

"Hey Fishlegs, something came up. Do you mind if we continue later in the afternoon?" I told him, "Uh, sure." he stood up from the bench, "Thanks. See you later." I ran out of the park and towards Berk Institute. 

I arrived in 10 minutes and I was standing in front of the gate, the guard noticed me and i just smiled at him. I sent a message to Astrid, "I'm here.", "Wait there. I'll come for you." I read a reply from her so I stood there and waited.

"Hiccup!" I turned around when I heard someone called me, I saw Astrid running to the gate in a shirt and basketball shorts, it looked like she already started her training session. 

Astrid talked to the guard and I saw him smile before opening the gate. "Good morning." I greeted the guard, "Looks like you ran here." she told me, looking at how sweaty I was, "Actually I did." I replied, "What?" she had a surprised face on, "I was on a jog with Fishlegs when you messaged." I clarified, "Oh. I thought you ran from your house to here." she chuckled.

I followed Astrid towards the Women's Basketball Gym, I stopped in front staring at the banner of her. "Should I bow?" I teased her, "Stop." she smacked my shoulder while laughing, "Let's go inside." Astrid stated, "Why does it feel like I'm committing a crime." I told her as I walked closer to the door, I shook my head when I remembered the last time I was here. 

"So who I'll be meeting?" I asked as Astrid opened the doors of the gym, I was almost got blinded by the bright lights. 

I was shocked to see the immense difference of their gym form the Men's Basketball Gym. It was like a castle while the men's gym was an outhouse. 

But something caught my eye which made me froze on the spot, it was banner hanging from the middle of the rafters. 

"Mom." I said under my breath, "The Original Valkyrie." Astrid said beside me, it was a banner of my mom when she was about my age, she looked the same just younger. 

"You know, your mother is the most stubborn, boar headed woman I ever met and because of that, she changed the perception on Women's Basketball here in Berk and even the country." a woman about the age of my mom approached us, "Uh... Hello, I'm Hiccup." I offered a handshake and she accepted, "Helga. Helga Jackson." she introduced, "You knew my mom?" I asked, "Knew her? We were basically sisters." she replied, "Coach Helga. This is the guy I wanted you to meet." she pointed at me.

"When I heard from Astrid that someone beat her, I was surprised. I've been training Astrid since she was a kid and I know that she's one of the best I have ever seen so for her to lose that means you're good." Coach Helga looked at me in all seriousness, "I-I just played how I always played." I replied and I saw her smile, "You are really just like your mom, that's what she always says as well.", "So what's your goal?" she asked, I got surprised by the sudden inquiry, "To try-out for the basketball team." I answered, "Is that all?" she followed, "I want to win the National Championships with the Berk Institute Dragons." I added and I saw her smile, "Good. So starting from today you'll join our training session. I want to see the best version of you on that day. Do you have any problems with that?" she declared in a loud and firm voice, "Huh?" I was so shocked of what was currently happening, I looked at Astrid and she was just smiling, "No coach." I replied.

"Lace up. We'll start in few minutes." Coach Helga instructed, so I took off my hoodie and tightened my shoelaces as Astrid sat beside me, "You didn't say anything about this." I told her as we walked from the bench, "I didn't know that Coach Helga would take a liking to you." 

The training session started with stretches, couple laps around the court, and some dribbling exercises.

Me and Astrid were both dribbling one ball in each hands and I got reminded of my  mom's training regime. 

"Hey Hiccup." I looked at Astrid, "I didn't want to say anything before but you'll experience something worse than hell during these training sessions." she told me and my eyes opened wide, "WHAT?!" she just smiled at me.

Astrid was right. What I underwent through for the last 5 hours was literal hell, it was harder than what my mom made me go through.

I'm in pain that's all I can say even the parts that I didn't usually use was hurting.

I was sprawled down on the floor, drowning on my own sweat, and Astrid, who also did everything I did, was standing above me looking unfazed.

It was the hardest training I ever did in my life. "Told you." I heard her say to me, I didn't say anything in reply because I was to busy catching my breath, I thought I was fit but it seems I wasn't.

"See you tomorrow." Coach Helga told us before leaving, "Tomorrow?" I asked Astrid, "Yep. Training sessions are everyday." she offered her hand, "Thanks." as she pulled me up, "So how was she?", "Awesome! That's the best proper training I've ever in years.", "Proper training in years?", "Yup. I used to train with my mom. After that, I mostly train by myself sometimes dad helps.", "Woah! That can't be." I heard surprise in her voice, "It's true." I walked towards my things while looking at her, "You're wondering why I'm in a much better state than you?" she read what I was thinking so I nodded.

"I've been doing this for a couple of years so it's normal for me." she continued. We were both outside the school already, "Are you going home?" I asked her, "Don't know yet." she answered while checking her phone, "You?" she asked, "I'm thinking of getting lunch before going home. You want to come?" I offered, she looked at her phone, "Sure, why not?" she agreed, since my body was hurting all over I can't go anywhere far so I suggested to go to the milkshake shop near the bus stop.

"Have you ever been here?" I asked as we got inside, "I... I don't usually go to places that offers this much sugar.", "Oh. We can go somewhere else.", "No, it's okay here and I don't think you can go far. I'll just order..." she was looking at the huge menu at the top of the counter, "Burger and fries." she continued, "Okay. Got it.", "You want me to order?", "No. I got this." I walked towards the counter and ordered.

I came back to our table with a milkshake in hand, "This. Hits. The. Spot." I exclaimed after taking a sip of the cold, sweet, and delicious drink and Astrid laughed at my reaction.