Chapter 27: The Birth of the New Dragons

Narration:

Coach Eret Eretson instructed every participant to stand again in front of him, the tension was high and everyone was hoping that their names will be called.

Hiccup's POV

It was nerve-wracking, the anticipation and waiting for the announcement was killing me. The others beside me was visually nervous and even Fishlegs was trying his best to act like fine but the anxiousness in his eyes were telling a different story.

"Hey, no need to be nervous. We poured everything on the court, we have nothing to regret." I encouraged them, "You say that but your hands are literally shaking." Fishlegs pointed out and the others chuckled.

"Hello guys." one of the three players, who is currently part of the current roster, stood opposite of all the participants.

"I'm the current captain of the Hunter, Cedrick Kinsman, currently a senior." he introduced himself as he looked at all of us from left to right.

I saw him look at me and smiled, "The final game was out of this world, the best I've ever seen in my four years of being here.", Chandler, Erasmus, and Melvin were cheering for me, I saw Dominic from the other side of the line, showing a thumbs up.

"From what you shown us today, all of you have qualities befitting to be part of the Dragons." he reminded us, Coach E walked forward and stood beside Cedrick holding a clipboard which I presume holds the names of the selected participants.

"I know that you're all dying to find out who made it to the team so without further adieu, I'll announce the new players of Berk Institute Dragons." he announced, "From Team 2, Norris Johnson. From Team 4, Gary Bowman. From Team 5, Bruno Richards and Greg Bishop and from the top 2, Team 3, Dominic Watkins, Percy Garner, and Stephen Benson. From the top 1 team, Team 6..." we all put our arms on each others shoulders, "Erasmus Townsend." I saw Erasmus sigh in relief, "Melvin Lyons." Melvin hugged Erasmus, "Chandler Thornston" I saw his eyes become teary, "And... Frank Justin Ingerman.", "Is that it? So... I didn't make the team." I held my head low and I can feel the stares from them, Fishlegs looked at me with concern.

"Of course, I saved the best for last." my head shot up and Coach E was smiling at me as he continued, "If I can give an award, I'll give him the Most Valuable Player Award because of how well he played and cooperated with his teammates even though his team is disadvantaged by being all freshmen, yet he still managed to bring out the best from them and he is... Henry Haddock III." I felt my whole body stopped, my heart started beating crazy, and I can't stop my hand from shaking. 

Fishlegs, Erasmus, Melvin, and Chandler all enclosed me in a group hug, "WE MADE THE TEAM." Melvin exclaimed, "I promise. didn't I? I never break my promise." I replied smiling.

The participants who were not selected left the court as well as the spectators watching but I still saw Heather, Amanda, and the twins sitting on the stands waving at us. I waved at them and I saw Astrid waving back with a smile on her face, I pointed at the headband and mouthed a "Thank you."

Since it was almost 9 pm, we didn't have enough time so we just have a quick introduction, "Let's meet tomorrow afternoon to talk about jersey numbers and positions you'll be playing.", "Yes Coach." everyone replied.

Me and Fishlegs went to the bench where we left our things but when I got there my bag was gone, "Hey Fishlegs, have you seen my bag?" I asked him, "No. Isn't it under the bench?", "Yeah but it's not there anymore." then the girls approached us.

"Are you looking for this?" I saw Astrid holding my bag, "Oh! I thought somebody took it." I smiled at her, "Thanks." I added. I saw Fishlegs signaling me that he was going ahead, I nodded and I saw him with a huge teasing grin on his face.

"That was one hell of a dunk. What can you not do?" Astrid asked me while we were walking out the gym, "Surprisingly, I can't backflip." I replied sarcastically and she punched me in the shoulder, "Ouch! Can you not do that please?" I joked while grabbing the area she punched, "Is your mouth, okay?" she asked, "I can still taste blood and it still hurts but it's all good, don't worry." she suddenly embraced my arm, "Let's celebrate tomorrow.", "That's a fantastic idea." when she saw her dad's car by the gate, she quickly removed her hand on my arm, "Talk to you later." she told me before getting in.

I saw the twins and Chandler probably waiting for their ride, "Hiccup, thank you for taking care of our cousin.", "I didn't do anything. It was all him, I just passed him the ball." I replied, "See you tomorrow, Chandler." I continued, "See you Hiccup and thanks again." I smiled as I walked towards the bus stop where Fishlegs was waiting for me.

When I sat down, all the exhaustion dawned on me. "You and Astrid, huh?" Fishlegs was glaring at me, I looked at him too tired to find any excuse.

"Crazy, right? It just happened. I don't know how and why, it just did.", "How can one guy have everything?" I laughed at his statement, "I'm serious here. You're a great basketball player and now, you're in a relationship with the most popular girl in school and the nation." he sighed, "How did you asked her out?" he asked, "What made you think I asked her out first?" I saw his stunned expression.

"I'm just joking. I may be great but not that great." I chuckled, "I almost believed that she asked you out first. So how did it happen?", "Remember when I was mad at her?" he nodded, "He came to my house and talked it out.", "It makes much more sense now. You're shifty eyes when I was talking about the guy that was seen with Astrid." I just grinned at him as a bus arrived at the bus stop.

"I actually made the team." I heard Fishlegs sudden realization, "Never in a hundred years, I would think of trying out if you didn't convinced me. Thanks.", "I got nothing to do with it. You're the one who trained. I just made you look good on the court. You even save the game for us with that awesome block at the end.", "But the dunk you did was the best I've ever seen." he mimicked the motion I did for the dunk, I just laughed at him, "Let's aim for the top and win the National Championship." I expressed and John agreed.

My body felt so heavy and I was literally dragging my feet just to be able to reach the front door of my house.

"I'm home." I greeted, "How did the try-outs go?" my dad asked standing from the couch and walking towards the kitchen, "I made it.", "I never doubted your talent. your mom would be so proud." my dad told me and I almost felt like crying.

 "Do you want something to eat?" my dad followed, "I think I'll sleep in early." I replied, "What happened to your mouth?" my dad noticing, the bandage on my mouth, "It's nothing. It was an accident." I smiled which was a mistake since it stinged.

"Hey son. I already knew tah you would make the team so I got you something." my dad told me, "Really? Thanks dad. Good night." I walked upstairs and into my room.

I slapped the switch by my door and the room lit up, the pile of boxes on my bed instantly got my attention as well as Toothless perching over them. 

"Dad never did know how to stop when it came to gifts." I scanned through the boxes and there three boxes of new basketball shoes, a box of a new pair of AF1s, and new shirts and hoodies.

"He really know me so well." I neatly arranged them in my closet before collapsing on my bed, I looked at my phone, "I should call Astrid.", I dialed her number.

Astrid's POV

I was having dinner with my parents when I heard my phone ringing in my pocket, my mom and dad looked at me. "Sorry." I peeked at the screen and it was Hiccup. 

I rejected the call and quickly finished up my food before sprinting up to my room and immediately dialing his number.

At first , there was nobody talking on the other line but then I heard a soft, "Hi, milady.", "Hello babe. I'm sorry if I wasn't able to answer your call earlier." I told him, "It's okay. I just wanted to hear your voice before I sleep." he said out of nowhere and it caught me off guard which cause me to pull back from my phone, I composed myself.

"You're getting better and better with acting as a boyfriend." I replied, " Was that a good line? I'm getting the hang of it." he said, "It was quite nice." I told him, "Where do you want to go tomorrow? We don't have any training." I asked, "Let's just go out and eat or watch a movie." he suggested, "That's a date then." I replied, a few minutes passed and there was no reply, "Hiccup?" I heard soft snoring from the other line, "He fell asleep?" I chuckled, "He must be very tired. he literally carried his team." I thought, "Goodbye Hiccup. Sleep well." I ended the call.