Chapter 17: It's just a Message

I mentally slapped myself because of the blunders I just did, luckily she didn't hear me. 

I called for the waiter that served me earlier to prevent me from doing anything stupid  anymore, "Hello sir and miss. What can I get you?" he asked as he pulled a little notepad, "Ladies first." I said, "What a gentleman." she chuckled, "Could I get the Viking's Feast?" she said, "Is that for the two of you?" he asked, "No. It's only mine." she told him, "Alright, one Viking's Feast." the waiter jot down on his notepad, "How about you, sir?" he turned to me, "I'll get the Viking's Feast as well." I replied, "Okay. Is that all?", I nodded, "Yeah. That's all. Thank you." Astrid said. 

"Isn't that Astrid Hofferson?" I heard someone said, "Who is she with, her boyfriend?", "Woah! Astrid Hofferson has a boyfriend?!" I kept hearing murmurs as we waited for our food.

"Don't mind them." I heard Astrid say, "Mind who?" I replied and I saw her smile, "How are you preparing for the try-outs?" she initiated a conversation, "Me and Fishlegs have been preparing since the summer. We just do some drills and sometimes play at 'THE PIT'." I replied, "How is it at 'THE PIT'?" she asked, "Fun, competitive, and extremely noisy." I told her, "Have you never been there before?" I added, "No. But it sounded quite fun." she replied, "If you want, I could... I mean, Me and Fishlegs could take you there." I told her, "Sounds great." she said as our food arrived.

My eyes widened at the quantity of food in front of us, "This was why the waiter asked if it was for the two of us." I thought as plates of mashed potatoes, steaks, fries, pasta, bread, gravy, heaps of corn, and vegetables filled our table.

"Dig in." Astrid smiled as she went straight to the steak which I followed, "Did Aunt Valka taught you to play?" she asked, "Oh yeah. Before I was learning football from my dad but the game wasn't really connecting to me so I switched sports and playing basketball felt more natural" I answered.

"Once the season starts, your name will be buzzing everywhere." Astrid stated, "I don't really care about those stuff, you know. All I want is the chance to play basketball." I told her, "Yeah, you can say that now but once they see you play. You'll find it hard to cope. I learned it the hard way." she told me as she continued eating her mashed potatoes.

I was completely surprised to see her finish this amount of food and still stay fit. "That was delicious." I exclaimed in complete glee, "I know, right? This is my go to after a game or a hard practice." I heard her say, "Thanks for the food.", "No need to thank me, we made a wager and you beat me fair and square." I just smiled then I saw her look at her phone, "Do you have anywhere you need to be?" I asked, "Yeah... I have something to attend to." she answered, "I'll ask for the bill." I gestured to the waiter and he approached us with the bill, Astrid paid the bill.

I put my facemask and hood on which Astrid also did as we went out together and I can still feel the eyes on us, I felt her grab my wrist as she pulled me away from their view. 

"Is that always what happens when you're outside?" I asked as we continued walking, "Yeah, most of the time." she replied, I was looking at the her hand still holding my wrists, "Are you going home? You said you have something to do." I told her, she faced me before letting go of my wrist. 

"I still have time. Do you want to have some dessert?" Astrid asked with a smile, "Of course. Who doesn't love desserts?!" I replied, "I know a great ice cream shop. It's just around the corner from here." she stated as I followed her to the ice cream shop.

I insisted on paying for the ice creams since she already paid for lunch, I got myself a Night Fury Fudge while she got a Deadly Nadder Double Dutch. 

"This is fun." I muttered as I enjoyed my ice cream, "It is. It's been a few months since I went on a date." I heard her say and I almost choked on my ice cream, I didn't know it was possible to choke on ice cream.