Chapter 14: A Furry Mediator

Fishlegs and I were only able to play two games since there was no other players who wants to play against us which was kinda good for me, since my hand was starting to hurt because of the wounds but we still won them both.

"The second game was close." Fishlegs  commented, "Yeah, my hand started hurting so I was only able to pass at second half of the game." I looked at the handkerchief-wrapped hands.

"You shouldn't do things like that, it might affect your game especially in the try-outs.", "It will be all good before Friday so don't worry.", "I know this must be a sore subject but are you really not going to talk to Astrid anymore?"Fishlegs questioned, "I don't see why I should talk to her again." I replied.

"Just like you said, she changed. She's not the Astrid we knew. If she doesn't know me, I don't know her, it's that simple. I'll leave her alone and let her be." I declared as we were approaching the bus stop near the school, I saw a car waiting outside by the gate.

I saw Astrid walking towards it, I stopped walking which Fishlegs did as well while looking at me confused, "Why'd you stop?" he asked and I just pointed at the car in front of us, "Oh... Its Astrid's car." I nodded, we waited for her to get in and for the car to leave before continuing.

"Did she always stay this late in school?" Fishlegs asked, "Yeah. She said that she usually stay until 7:30 pm to train." I replied, "Her work ethic is commendable." he stated and I just sit down on the bench waiting for the bus to arrive.

- - - - - 

I woke up a bit early because its the weekend and there's no classes. I started stretching, loosening my joints and muscles before I started jogging. I put my earphones and played some music.

This feeling always reminded me of my middle school days, me and my mom always jog at 4 am in the morning because it helps improve my endurance and stamina which are important especially when you play two to three games in a day.

I've been jogging for three hours straight and after resting a little, I heard my stomach grumbled so I decided to stop by a coffee shop to get some breakfast.

I queued up and since it was early in the morning, there was not that many people in line. It was my turn so I looked up on the menu and I ordered a ham and cheese sandwich and orange juice.

I took my order to an empty table and I bit into my sandwich before pulling out my phone to check some notifications and watch some basketball videos while sipping my orange juice.

After enjoying a very satisfying meal, I left the coffee shop and was walking while still engrossed in watching some basketball videos.

I was so focused on the video that I wasn't looking at where I was going and I suddenly felt a bump on my shoulder.

I immediately looked back and I was about to apologize when I saw the person I bumped, "Fishlegs? Fancy seeing you here.", "Hiccup?" he asked, "I see that you're working on endurance too." I told him, "Yeah. I'm trying to get to my tip top shape before Friday. You just finished your run?", "Yeah. Just finished getting a bite to eat. I don't want to hold you much longer. See you later, Fishlegs." I told him as he started continuing his jog and I walked home. 

- - - - - 

It was already afternoon and I was chilling in my room, playing with Toothless when I heard my dad shout from downstairs, "HICCUP, THERE'S SOMEONE LOOKING FOR YOU.", "I'll be back." I put Toothless down on my bed before going downstairs, I was expecting it to be Fishlegs but it wasn't him, it was Astrid. She was wearing an oversize shirt and shorts and her hair in a braided bun, I was so surprised to see her that I almost stumbled down the stairs. 

"Hi Hiccup." Astrid greeted, "Uh... Uhm... Hi?" I didn't know how to react, "W-what are you doing here?" I asked, "I wanted to talk about a project we need to do for school." she replied, I was confused.

"Project? We aren't even in the class." I thought but I realized out what she was doing, "Ah. Yeah. The project. I almost forgot." I said, "Uh. Dad, we'll head upstairs and talk about our school project that  we need to do." I said, "Okay son. Do you want me to bring some refreshments?" my dad asked, "No need, dad." I smiled at him, "Okay. It's nice seeing you lass." my dad told Astrid, "It's nice seeing you too, Uncle Stoick." she replied, "Follow me Astrid." I told her as we went upstairs.

We stood in the hallway of the second floor, I looked downstairs to make sure that my dad couldn't hear us, "Why are you here?" I asked her, "I just wanted to talk." she responded, "Talk? We have nothing to talk about." I whispered loudly, "I know your mad." she said, "Mad?! Why would I be?!" I whispered loudly again, "You still use sarcasm as a defensive mechanism, you know." she pointed out, "Are you two okay?" I heard my dad said, I opened the door to my room and pulled her in. 

I didn't realized what I did at first, "Uh... Sorry." I told her as I started to clean up my room, throwing my clothes inside my closet. 

I pulled the chair from my desk and offered it to her, "Thanks." she told me as she sat down, "We have known each other for years but this is the first time I've been in your room." she remarked, "Known each other, huh?" I asked her, "Do we really?" I added, "I'm sorry  about the other day." she said, "I know I shouldn't have ignored you." she continued, "It's just-", "It's just you're famous and me and Fishlegs aren't." I cut her off, "It's not like that." she tried defending herself, "Really? I still remember when you said you didn't know me." I retorted, "I don't blame you, I did move away for a couple of years but I learned from Fishlegs that you were ignoring him too. What's your excuse?" I followed and she didn't reply and sat there with her head held low. 

I started to hear Toothless meowing and walking towards her, "Hey! Where are you going?" I gestured at him to come to me but he hugged her leg, she picked him up, "Hello, little guy." she talked to him, "What's his name?" she asked, "Toothless." I answered, "Hello Toothless." she baby-talked at him and he purred in reply, "Hey! I'm mad at her so we're mad at her. You're supposed to be on my side." I told him and he just leaned to her hand and continued purring. 

"I think he likes me." Astrid smiled and seeing her smile made me want to smile to but I controlled myself, "It seems like it but this changes nothing." I told her, "I know. I have no excuses. But I m really sorry to you and Fishlegs." she replied, I sighed, "Alright. I forgive you.", "Really?" she asked, "I don't like being angry at someone and in a way, I understand why you did that. You have a status to maintain.", "Yeah... Having so many eyes on you, have more disadvantages than advantages.", "I can't really relate." I said and she chuckled, "Ever since middle school when they saw I could play, pressure started to pile on me. People with different agenda approached me left and right. It was exhausting so I decided to be cold." I looked at her and I saw the sadness in her eyes.

"But we're different, I'm different. All I wanted is to play against you." I told her, "I know you are but getting associated with me will just make your life harder. They will start creating nonsensical stories about you and me, hoping to go viral." she explained, "I don't care what they say." I stated and she smiled at me. 

"I just want to hang out and have fun like back in the day." I told her, "But I know, with your celebrity status it would be close to impossible to do that without your name being drag in mud." I followed, "I know, I'm sorry." she replied, "But still we need to finish what we started." I smiled at her, "Of course." she smiled back.