Chapter 8: The Nickname

I was completely in the zone, this was the same feeling I got during the final game of the tournament when we were down with just a few seconds left. 

I can see everything clearly, the movement of my teammates as well as the other teams and it was like the game was slowing down for me. 

I was able to steal the ball, pass it to open teammates, get blocks, grab rebounds, and importantly score. 

I was pulling up from anywhere and every shot was falling, I felt a smile formed and I knew that this is what I truly want to do.

The ball went out of bounds and then I noticed the number of people watching us doubled. 

"What's happening here?" I asked Fishlegs, "They're here for you. They want to see you play." he answered smiling, "Me? Why?" I asked myself as I get back on defense.

We won 21 to 9, I was walking off the court when some people offered high-fives which confused me but I gave it to them, "You were awesome." a kid told me and I just nodded in reply because I didn't know what to say.

I received a couple of high-fives and 'Nice Games' before I was able to sit, I was sitting on a bench when I saw the guys we played with giving me a nod which I also did.

"Hey Hiccup. You were on fire." Fishlegs enthusiastically said while sitting beside me, "It was fun. It has been a long time since I played 5v5 basketball." I replied, "The behind-the-back pass was my favorite. How did you even saw him?", "It was just a glimpse and I thought that he was open so I gave it to him in the quickest possible way and my left hand was nearest to the ball so I picked it up and threw it behind the back." I replied and I saw him wide-eyed, "You were thinking of all that in that small amount of time?" he asked and I nodded, "You are really different." he said.

"Oh. By the way, here's your $50 and the $50 that you won." he said, "Woah. I had fun and I even earned an extra $50. Thanks." I replied, "You know, if we start playing here regularly, we'll be rich." he joked, "How?", "With your talent, we'll be able to play on the number 3 or number 2 or even number 1 court in no time.", "I doubt that. I'm not that good.", "Don't be so humble.", "It's the truth. There are still many things I need to learn." I said, we watched a couple of games before leaving.

- - - - - 

I was woken up by my alarm going off, I pushed myself up and I felt the ache all over my body, "Ow... Ow... Ow... I forgot about this feeling too." I thought as I slowly made my way to the bathroom.

I was walking towards the bus stop when I felt a tap on my shoulder, "Hey Hiccup." I heard, "Oh hey, Fishlegs." I said, "Do you wanna go there again later after classes?" he asked and without a second thought I agreed, "Sure." I told him, we got on the bus and headed to school.

Fishlegs and I were talking about last night and anything basketball-related. "I can't wait for this year's basketball season." he said, "What's special this year?" I asked, "I'm gonna join the try-outs. Never in my wildest dreams that I thought of joining the 'Dragons'." he answered, "Dragons?" I asked, "Yeah. That's what the Men's Basketball Team are called the Berk Institute Dragons." he told me, "Cool name.", "Yeah... But the other schools call them 'Lizards'. I don't blame them. Even in our school, almost nobody attends their games because they were always sure they would lose.", "We ought to change that." I told him, "I agree." he nodded in agreement.

"But the talk of the nation is the debut of Astrid for the Valkyries. They are the favorites out of all the women's team." Fishlegs added, "Astrid, huh?" I mumbled, "Have you seen her yet?" Fishlegs asked, "No, I haven't." I told him, "Oh yeah. I remember back in the day that you told me you like Astrid." he smiled, "W-what are you talking about? I don't remember saying anything like that." I stuttered and he laughed at how awkward I was.