Chapter 16: It's Lunch, Not a Date

I held the follow through until the ball went in and my body immediately fell to the floor after that because of exhaustion.

This ball game took a lot more than I thought, my shirt was completely drenched with sweat and I was catching my breath.

I saw Astrid walking closer to where I was laying and she laid down beside me, "Good game." she said to me while reaching her hand, "Nice game." I shook her hand.

We both took a couple of minutes to rest, I pushed my body up into a sitting position and I looked over to her, "Are you still good?" I asked her, "Yup. That was fun." she replied, "For me too. You're actually much better than I thought, I really thought I would lose." I told her.

"A bet is a bet. I'll treat you for a lunch tomorrow." Astrid said as she stood up, "I can't wait. Nothing is better than free lunch." I exclaimed happily and she started laughing, I was about to stand up when she offered her hand, I took her hand then she pulled me up.

"Thanks for the help." I told her, "No problem. Let's go?" she asked, "Let me just get my things." I ran to get my hoodie and bag, "My dad's already waiting for us outside." she said so I hurriedly changed and packed my things before walking out of the gym.

"I really enjoyed today." she smiled, "I'll beat you next time." she followed, "Sure. I'm always ready for a rematch." I replied.

"Oh yeah. Give me your phone." Astrid instructed and I obliged, getting my phone from my bag, "Here." I don't know why she asked for my phone, "I saved my number on your phone." she told me then she proceeded to call her own number, "Now, I have yours." she showed me her phone, with my number displayed in the caller ID.

"So we could contact each other easily about our lunch tomorrow. Also, just in case I needed a training partner again." Astrid commented, "Don't give it to anyone, okay?" she said and I nodded in reply.

Astrid got in the passenger's seat while I got in the back, "Hi, Uncle Agnar." I greeted, "Hello, Hiccup." he greeted back, "Sorry, we're a bit late, dad." Astrid said, "It's okay but why are you late?" he asked, "Hiccup and I played one-on-one." she replied, "Who won?" Uncle Agnar asked, "He did. Barely." Astrid responded while looking at me and I just smile.

"Hiccup won? Against you? When was the last time you lost on one-on-one?" Uncle Agnar couldn't believe what she said, "Yup. It was a hard-fought game, I needed to thread in an eye of a needle to win." I remarked. 

"The last time I lost was when I was 8. The guy cheated so I beat him up." Astrid said, her ferociousness made me swallow my saliva.

"If you beat Astrid, it does mean you're quite capable." Uncle Agnar said, "I'll win next time." Astrid declared, "I'll do my best." I smiled. 

I got home at around 10:30 pm, "Sorry, I'm late, dad." I said as I walked inside, "Don't worry about it, son. So how was your playdate with the Hofferson's lass?" his question caught me off guard, "Playdate? It wasn't a playdate. We just continued our game." I replied, "Isn't it the same thing?" he asked, "No... Playdate is for kids." I blabbered, "Okay son. If you say so." he chuckled as I went upstairs to take a bath. I was playing with Toothless while drying my hair when I remembered Astrid giving me  her phone number.

"Should I?" I picked up my phone and dialed her number, "Wait... Wait... I don't know what to say to her." I realized after hearing the continuous ringing, but the call didn't connect. 

"Maybe she's busy." I put my phone down and cuddled with Toothless, I didn't realized I fell asleep maybe because of how early I woke up and the exhaustion that my body felt.

I woke up when I couldn't breath since Toothless was laying on my face and because of the ringing and vibrating I felt on my bed, I removed Toothless from my face, reached around looking for something resembling my phone.