Chapter 5: The Place my Mom and Dad Built

I spent most of the summer training with Fishlegs's. We did some drills in his backyard court and also hitting weights in the gym since I wanted to add muscles to my lanky frame and he wants show muscles thru his pudgy exterior. 

Our hard work paid off since in just a month and three weeks, I was able to add mass to my frame and Fishlegs lost a couple of pounds and is much leaner compared  to before.

- - - - -  

I was playing with Toothless, a couple of weeks ago he finally opened his eyes and I saw the most beautiful pair of green eyes, it added more cuteness to him, when I heard a knock on my door, "Hiccup?", I jumped out of bed and opened the door, "Hey dad, what's up?" I asked, "I just want to tell you that we're going to Berk Institute tomorrow morning so don't sleep late." he told me, "Got it. Will do. I will not sleep late and I'll wake up early tomorrow." I said with a smile. 

I slept early in the morning and woke up late, I heard an earful from dad all throughout our journey to Berk Institute. 

"There it is, Berk Institute." my dad said, I couldn't believe what I was seeing, "That's a school?" I asked and he just laughed at me. 

We were stopped by the gate as the the guard checked our identities,, I saw one of the guard's eyes widened when he realized who dad was, "Just head inside, sir Stoick." he announced, "What was that?" I asked my dad, "It's the power of being 'Stoick the Vast." he boasted which made me laugh. 

When we got out of Skull Crusher, someone approached us, "Hello sir Stoick. I'm Steve, I'll be assisting you today. It's an honor meeting you." he said, "It's a pleasure to meet you too, Steve." my dad replied, "This is my son, Hiccup." he introduced me to Steve, "Hello Steve." I reached out my hand to him, "Hello sir Hiccup." he shook my hand. 

"I assume you'll be heading towards the Principal's office." Steve said, "Yep. I don't recognize the place anymore so many thing have changed." my dad said, "Most of the significant landmarks are still the same like the Hall of Chiefs." he pointed at a huge building, "Wow." I reacted, "And the Tavern." Steve pointed a old rundown building, "It's still looked like when I left." my dad commented. 

Steve toured us a bit more and my jaw was starting to hurt since I can kept it close while seeing the amazing and astonishing buildings and landscapes.  

We arrived at the main building which they call 'The Main Hall'. As we walked towards the Principal's office, I could see various glass enclosures holding numerous trophies and paraphernalia. 

I saw one for the Berk Institute Chiefs and right in front was my dad's picture holding the trophy and also a framed jersey of his.  

I was looking around when I stopped in front another enclosure and it was for the Berk Institute Valkyries, I saw my mom's picture as well her jersey. I felt like crying but I stopped myself, "She's amazing, right?" I heard my dad ask, "She really is." i replied, "Come on." I felt his hand on my shoulder, I took a last glance at mom's smiling picture before following Steve again. 

Steve opened the door and went inside first, "Of course! Tell them to come in." I heard someone said. 

Me and my dad entered, "It's nice to see you, Stoick." I heard the principal said, "No way! Hoark? Is that you? I can't believe you're the principal of Berk Institute." they shook hands, "This is my son, Henry Haddock III." My dad pushed me forward, "Hello sir. You can call me Hiccup." I greeted, "Nice meeting you too, Hiccup." he offered his hand and I accepted it, "Sit down." he pointed at the chairs in front of his huge desk. 

"I heard that you're planning to enroll Hiccup here." the principal said, "Yeah. Based on my experience, there is no better school than Berk Institute." my dad stated, "I second that." the principal agreed, "So let's see..." he opened the folder full of school requirements and report card, "Good grades... Good conduct... Good at sports as well. It seems there's no problem on records,  you just need to fill up a few documents and you'll be good to go." he told us, "Uhm... Do I need to be here for the filling up of documents?" I asked, "Not really. Why?" the principal looked at me, "I wanted to check the school grounds more." I said, "Sure." he allowed, "Just don't get lost." my dad reminded, "Is that based on experience too?" the principal asked, "Yep." my dad replied and they started laughing. 

I walked outside the Main Hall and I was still amazed of the whole place, "I'll be going here next school year." I told myself. 

I decided to explore the place more when I found myself in front of the gym, it was amazing. I could hear people inside as well as ball dribbling, I wanted to peek inside but a guard stop me, "What are you doing there?" she asked, "I... Uhm... I just wanted to see who's playing." I answered, "I'm sorry but this is the women's basketball gym, male individuals are not allowed." she replied, "Woah! This place is only for female basketball players?" I asked again, "Yes. Are you new here?" she replied, "I'm still in the process of enrolling. I'm just looking around." I told her, "If you want, you can check the men's basketball gym. It's just straight ahead." she directed, "Got it. Thanks." I left and went to find the men's basketball gym, I was looking for a building that looks the same with the women's basketball gym but all I was seeing is a run down, faded paint, and gloomy establishment. 

"Don't tell me..." I knocked on the door and it almost fell of from its hinges, "Uncle Gobber was not lying when he said the men's basketball team was bad even the school thinks so." I slowly opened the door and I was met by cobwebs across my face, I removed it from my face and head inside. I was surprised to see the basketball court to spotless unlike the exterior of the building.    

"Hello?" I called out and an echo was the only reply that I got, "This place seems to be abandoned. This is bad. I won't be able to join the team if there's no team to begin with." I remarked then at a corner I saw a basketball, I looked left and right before sprinting towards the ball. 

"This is okay, right?" I asked myself while already taking the ball, I started dribbling the ball and the sound it makes after hitting the hardwood floor echoed inside the whole gym.

I stepped on the court and went to the three point line and took a shot, swished it. Shot another, swish. Shot another, swish. Shot another, swish. 

"This is awesome!" I exclaimed while sitting on the floor, "Awesome" I heard the echo reply, "Having fun?" I heard somebody said, I was surprised and jumped up.

I searched for the source of the voice and I saw a man standing by the door.

"I... I... I'm sorry for using your court without permission." I bowed my head, "No. It's okay. Basketball courts are supposed to be played on." he told me as he slowly walked inside. 

"It's been a while since anybody came here. By the way, you have a nice shooting form." he replied, "Thank you sir." I said while putting the ball back on one of the racks, "Are you a student here?" he asked, "Uh,.. No... Not yet.", "Oh... So you're thinking about enrolling here?", I nodded. 

"How about you try-out for the basketball team?" he asked, "It was always been the plan." I replied, then I felt something vibrate in my pocket, I took out my phone and it reads, "Settled everything. Where are you? We are going home.", "It's my dad. I'm Hiccup by the way. I'll be going sir." I told him before I ran outside.

I caught up to my dad and he was still talking with Principal Hoark in front of the Main Hall. 

"I'm here." I waved at my dad, "Where were you?" he asked, "I found the gym and I shot a couple shots." I replied, "It seems we'll need allocate funds for renovation of  the men's basketball gym. I'm getting this feeling that you'll be just like you mom and dad." Principal Hoark remarked, I smiled and said goodbye to him. 

"What do you think?" my dad asked while we were driving home, "I like the place." I said smiling, "I knew you would." he said, "It was your mom's idea. She thought that you'll be a perfect fit in Berk Institute." my dad added, "She's right yet again. She was always right." I told my dad, "Yes she is." he smiled.