Chapter 32: Sudden Invitation

Hiccup's POV

I did some assignments and school projects as soon as I got home so that my school works won't pile up.

Now, I'm resting on my bed, scrolling through social media when my phone started ringing, I was surprised and almost dropped my phone on my face.

I immediately checked the caller ID, "Astrid?" a smile immediately formed, "Hello milady." I greeted, "Hi babe." she chuckled, "What's up?" I asked,  "Uhm... Uh..." was all I was hearing from the other line so I thought that my signal was acting up, "Astrid? Are you there?" I said, "Do you want to go out for dinner later?" she asked, I was taken aback by the invitation. 

"Is this still a part of the act?" I thought, "Uh... S-sure." I told her, "I'm sorry for telling you all this out of nowhere." she said, "Don't worry about it, it's okay. But what's with the sudden invitation to dinner?" I asked, "My parents told me to ask you, if you want to go to dinner with us." she answered, I froze when I heard what she said. 

"Uh... Hello? Hiccup?" I heard from the other line, "Uh... Yeah. I'm still here." I added, "Why did they ask for me?" I asked, "Not really sure. My dad just said that we should invite you. My mom said that they miss you hanging out with me." she replied, "Oh..." then I remembered the times when Uncle Agnar and Aunt Asdis teased me about Astrid. 

"Uhm... Do they know about us?" I asked, "No. Just act normally." she replied, "Ah. Good. I can do that. Just tell me the place and time.", "At around 8 pm. They told me that we'll pick you up so we can go there together.", "Okay. Got it. Dress code?", "Casual will do.", "Okay see you later. Astrid.", "See you later, Hiccup. Thanks again." the call ended.

I walked downstairs and saw my dad on the living room couch, "Hey dad?" I called, "Yes son?" he turned around, "I got invited to dinner by Astrid's parents." I said and I saw him stopping himself from smiling, "Okay. Enjoy.", "Thanks dad." I went back upstairs, "It's not like what you're thinking." I shouted since I know that my dad was already thinking about how many grand children he would like to have, "I didn't even said anything." I heard him respond, "I know. That's why I'm telling you." I told him.

I started preparing around 6 pm, I took a quick bath and was scanning through my closet for something casual to wear. "Hoodies are considered casual, aren't they?" I asked myself, "Let's wear something different." I went to the back of my closet where the clothes I don't normally wear ends up.

The first thing that caught my eye was a black polo with blue on the cuffs and on the edges of the collars, it also had a scaly pattern etched to it, "This could do." I held it up, "Okay. I got something casual to wear." I partnered it with black jeans and blue AF1s. 

I checked myself in front of the mirror, "What do you think, bud?" I held Toothless as we both stare at my reflection on the mirror, he purred in approval, "Thanks bud." I smiled.  

"You look incredibly dashing, son." my dad commented seeing me as I was about to go out, "Thanks dad." I smiled at his compliment, "We should also invite Astrid for dinner sometime." I heard him say, "Yeah... That's a good idea." I replied, "I'll get going now." I went out, "Enjoy! Make sure to impress them." my dad teased before closing the door after me.

I checked my phone for any messages from Astrid when I saw a car approaching, the driver's window rolled down, "You look handsome, Hiccup." Uncle Agnar complimented, "Good evening Uncle Agnar and Aunt Asdis." I greeted, "Get in." Aunt Asdis said so I opened the door in the back, "Hi Hiccup." I heard a someone said, I sat down and looked at her, "Hi mil-" I saw her eyes widened, "Hi A-Astrid." I quickly said as I smiled at her, it was a bit dark in the car so I couldn't see her very clearly but she was wearing a jacket with her hair tied up in a tight bun. 

"T-Thanks for inviting me. I hope I don't intrude into your family dinner." I told them, "What are you saying? You are family." Aunt Asdis smiled. 

While on our way to dinner, Astrid kept quiet while I talked with both her parents. "I heard you made the team. Congratulations." Uncle Agnar said, "Thanks Uncle." I replied, "Are you and Astrid hanging out in school?" Aunt Asdis asked, "Uhm..." I glanced at Astrid and she gave me a slight nod, "We greet each other from time to time but since we are from different classes we couldn't hang out much." I told them.

"We're here." I heard Uncle Agnar said so I looked out of my side's window and I was surprised to see a large establishment, "Woah!" I whispered, "Have you been here before?" Aunt Asdis asked, "I don't think so." I replied, "You'll like this place." she told me. 

I got out and offered a hand to Astrid, she accepted my hand and got of their car. My My jaws dropped when I saw her in the light, she left her jacket in the car and I saw her complete outfit. Astrid was wearing a light blue dress that reaches just above her knee, it hugged her frame so beautifully. 

"Y-you look beautiful, Astrid." I absentmindedly said, "You look good too, Hiccup." she replied, "Wait. Did I say that out loud?" I whispered, "Yep." she said with a smile.

"Wow! You two looked good together." Aunt Asdis declared as I saw a flash and heard a clicking sound, "Mom!" Astrid exclaimed, "What? I just want to take a picture of you two." Aunt Asdis smiled and Astrid shook her head, "Come on. Let's head in and continue our conversation later." Uncle Agnar instructed as we started walking inside the palace-like building. 

I followed Uncle Agnar and Aunt Asdis as they were directed to a table by the  receptionist, I pulled Astrid's seat for her before sitting down. 

"Thanks." Astrid smiled, "What a gentleman." Aunt Asdis stated which made me feel shy, "Stop harassing the boy." Uncle Agnar said, "Order what you want, Hiccup." he continued so I scanned through the menu but I didn't know what to get so I leaned towards Astrid, "What should I get?" I asked her, "I think you'll like this." she pointed at a dish that I couldn't even pronounced the name so while the waiter was taking orders I just pointed at it on the menu.

"When does the season starts?" Uncle Agnar asked, "I think it's Monday next week." I replied, "Oh, it's near." Aunt Asdis said, "It is. I'm really excited." I smiled, "I knew you would be. Valka was the same. Her face would be always have a huge smile, every time we had a game." she told me which made me smile.

Our food arrived and it all looked delicious, "What are you waiting for? Dig in." Aunt Asdis initiated so I started eating my food and Astrid was right, I loved what she picked. 

I was so full since Aunt Asdis ordered three desserts after the meal. "Hiccup. Do you have a girlfriend?" Aunt Asdis asked, "I... Uh... No." I replied,  "What? That can't be true. For someone good looking as you." I looked away and was about to drink my water because of the sudden compliment, "What do you think of our Astrid?" I almost choked on my water, "Dad!" Astrid glared at his dad, "What? I'm just asking. Since you two are already grown up, things like this should be address." Uncle Agnar replied, "So what do you think of her?" he directed the question to me again, "You don't have to answer, Hiccup." Astrid told me, "Uhm... A-Astrid is the most amazing person I ever knew ever since we were kids. Any guy would be lucky to have her as their girlfriend." I said and I saw Astrid stare at me with wide eyes, "See. This is the kind of guy, you should date." Aunt Asdis pointed at me, I just smiled. 

"If you ever think of courting our Astrid, you have my full support, Hiccup." Uncle Agnar smiled at me, "Me too so please date my daughter." Aunt Asdis pleaded, "I-I'll think about it." I just blurted out and I felt a kick from under the table. 

The ride home was quiet since Astrid scolded her parents. 

I got home at around 10 pm, "Thanks for the dinner, Uncle and Aunt." I waved at them, "Just think about it." Uncle Agnar whispered, "DAD!" Astrid shouted from the backseat and he smiled at me, "Bye, Hiccup. See you in school." I heard Astrid said, "See you." I told her as they drove away.