Chapter 6: The First Day of High School

It has been weeks, me and Fishlegs continued training and preparing for the try-outs for the men's basketball team. 

Time went so fast and the school will start tomorrow but I had my sights set on one thing: to play basketball. 

I just want to feel the intensity of the game again, the adrenaline and exhilaration of playing against tough opponents, and the nerve-wracking atmosphere that I felt every time I step onto a basketball court.

"Haddock for the win? BANG!" the commentator erupted, screaming his lungs out and the crowd goes wild chanting one name, "HICCUP! HICCUP! HICCUP! HICCUP!".

It continued, "HICCUP! HICCUP! HICCUP! HICCUP WAKE UP!"

I slowly realized it was not from my dream, "Oh shoot!" I jolted up from my sleep and I got out of bed quickly.

I checked my phone on my bedside table, it says 7:00 am. 

"HICCUP WAKE UP OR YOU'LL BE LATE FOR THE FIRST DAY OF YOUR NEW HIGH SCHOOL!" I heard another shout from behind the door, "I'm up, dad. I've been up since six." I lied, "Yeah right. Just move quickly." he knew I was lying, "Love you, dad." I shouted, "Love you too, son." I heard him reply, I head straight  to the bathroom.

While I was in the shower, I vividly remembered some parts of the dream I had, "Haddock for the win? BANG!" I smiled.

I finished showering and was drying my hair as I walk towards my closet, I opened it and I put the clothes that I was thinking of wearing today on my bed, "What should I wear? Something casual will be most likely appropriate." I was tapping my chin while I was deciding, "Hmmm... What to wear? What to wear? What to wear?" I kept repeating and then my eyes landed on a certain hoodie, I chose the hoodie and black jeans partnering it all with a white AF1s.

"Nothing can go wrong with a hoodie." I muttered as I went downstairs, "Good morning!" I happily greeted my dad who was already starting to eat breakfast.

"Max, Come eat! You need energy for the day." my dad said, I just picked up two sandwiches, "I'll be going now, I don't want to be late for the first day of school." I replied, "Alright, just be careful and have fun, okay?" I heard my dad said, I run out of the door while giving him a smile.

I was running while a sandwich was hanging out of my mouth, "Oh! A bus stop." I saw the bus stop and it was already full of people, "Good, I'm not yet late." I thought and as I looked more closely most of them I think is the same age as me but since I'm not an outgoing person, I just ate my sandwich quietly.

I got in and looked for an empty seat and the only vacant seat was at the far back.

I put my earphones on to play some music, I can hear the people inside talking to each other, introducing themselves, and catching up with their friends.

I was all fidgety because I kept thinking of what the man said to me last time I was there, "How about you try-out for the basketball team?", I kept smiling. I pulled my hood because they might think I'm weird for smiling alone so I just sat there and looked out the window, listening to my music until we arrived at school.

As soon as we got out of the bus, a group of students with smiles on their faces greeted us, "Hello! Welcome to Berk Institute. We're from the Student Council so if you have any question don't be afraid to come to us, okay?" they started giving each one of us a pamphlet of the school, I just smiled and walked with the group.

They started to walked us around, pointing to buildings, and explaining things. I was not really paying attention since Steve already toured us around. 

But when we got to somewhere I saw before, I pulled out my earphone and put it inside of my pocket. 

"This is the Women's Basketball Gym. Home of the Berk Institute Valkyries.", "Valkyries. Astrid and the twins' team. That's cool." I mumbled then continued on the tour.

After the tour was finished, I went inside and  pulled out piece of paper which contains my class schedule and classroom and I also checked the pamphlet and there was a map of the classroom which kind of made my life easier so I followed the map, looking for my classroom, checking the numbers on the side of the doors but I still couldn't find my classroom.

"Oh man!" I thought while I was looking at the pamphlet and at the same time looking around, I was walking in all directions but still have no idea where to go. 

Then I saw one of the officers of the Student Council, "Got no other choice." I took a breath in and walked to her.

"Uhm... Excuse me?" I said in a very awkward way, "Yes?" she replied with a smile, "I-I'm having trouble finding my classroom." I stuttered, "Let me see." I showed her my class schedule, "Oh, it's this way." she said walking towards a certain direction which I just followed. "I was here before." I said in my head then she stopped in front of a classroom.

"Here." she said still smiling, "Here? Why didn't I saw it before?" I checked the classroom number, "9th grade... Yes, this is it. Thank you very much." I said to her, "You're welcome." she replied and walked away.

I peeked inside and there was already about 20 to 25 people inside, some of them was talking with the others while others was sitting in their seats.

I walked inside silently but I still got the attention of some people so I greeted with a nod and smile, I continued walking finding a vacant seat at the back, I sat down and laid my head on the desk.

I put my earphones on again but then I felt a tap on my shoulder, I lifted my head up and saw Fishlegs. My face lit up, "We're in the same class?" I asked him, "Looks like it." he replied, we talked for a bit and after a few minutes, the bell rung, followed by a teacher coming in. 

I sat properly on my chair, "Hello class, I'm Mr. Jones. I'm your homeroom teacher.", "Hello Mr. Jones." echoed inside the classroom, "You may take your seats. For our first activity, I want you to introduce yourselves, tell us some of your favorite things to do, your hobbies so that we can know each other and hopefully after this semester, you all can be friends." Mr. Jones instructed.

I was a bit nervous since public speaking isn't really my strong suit , I saw Mr. Jones pointing at my direction, "You there wearing the hoodie, introduce yourself.", I stood up and I can see all of them staring at me, "I... Uh... Uhm...", "I... Uh... Uhm... That's a great name." one of them mockingly commented which resulted to laughter from the others, I chuckled nervously.

"Quiet class. Let him finish. You can continue." Mr. Jones said, "I... I'm Henry Haddock III.. You can call me Hiccup. I just moved back here in Berk." I said, "Haddock?" I heard chatter all around the room, "It seems the class are curious if you're related to Stoick Haddock." Mr. Jones asked, "Uh yeah. He's my dad." I replied and gasps where heard, "Okay... Okay... Now you all know. So quiet down." Mr. Jones instructed. 

"Any hobbies? Any sports you play?" Mr. Jones asked, "Oh. Right! I love to tinker and I also love to play basketball." I answered and I heard a couple of snickers, "You play basketball?" Mr. Jones asked and I nodded, "We have a basketball team here. Why don't you try-out for it?" he asked, "I already plan to, sir." I replied, "That's good. I love the confidence. Maybe you'll be the one who will carry our team to our very first National Championship in the Men's Division. Thank you, Mr. Haddock." he said and I sat down back on my seat.

The rest of the day just went like: introductions and chatting and there were no real classes yet.

After finishing my last class for today, I walked around the school for a bit and stopped in front of the Men's Basketball Gym and it changed a lot, "Principal Hoark stayed true to what he said." I commented as I stare at the newly renovated gym, it was still not at the level of the Women's Basketball Gym but it was good enough. 

I got home at around 3 in the afternoon, "I'm home." I shouted, "Hello son, how's your new school?" my dad asked from the living room, "Different. It was very different from any other school I attended." I answered..

"So you hungry? What do you want?" he asked standing up from the couch, "No need to . I'll make something." I told him as I whip out ingredients from our refrigerator and build a colossal sandwich before running upstairs.

I threw my bag on the bed and changed into a shirt and sweatpants. I played with Toothless before putting my basketball shoes on, "See you later bud!" I told Toothless before leaving my room.

"Dad, I'll be next door playing some basketball." I told my dad while carrying my sandwich, "Alright. Enjoy and have fun." he told me.