40: Enigma

─────⋆˚ ༘💔ˋ°.⍣─────

Worry and confusion were twisting my insides as I paced back and forth in front of the emergency room. A million terrifying scenarios raced through my mind about Arrow's condition. Wala akong ibang maramdaman bukod sa pagaalala at pagkabahala.

"You should relax, Seven," said Colton who's sitting with Audrey and Maze on the steel bench. Mr. Tor also came with us, but he went out of the hospital to get some signal to call Tita Meryl.

"Oo nga," sabi ni Audrey. "Maupo ka kaya muna."

"Baka mamaya ay ikaw naman ang mapaano dyan," dagdag pa ni Maze.

My friends tried in vain to get me to settle down, but I acted deaf to their pleas. I wanted to march inside the ER to see what's happening, but all I could do was worry and wait. My nerves frayed even more with each passing minute. I knew I should try to keep it together, but staying calm seemed impossible when the life of the man I cherished hung in the balance.

Maya-maya ay lumabas ang doctor, kaya mabilis namin siyang nilapitan.

"Kamusta po siya?" mabilis kong tanong.

"He's stable now," he said. "But may I know where's the parent of the patient?"

My friends focused their eyes at me. Itinakbo namin si Arrow sa San Miguel Hospital, kaya kailangan pang magbyahe ni Tita Meryl ng ilang oras bago makarating.

"She's on her way, doc," I said. "But can you tell us what really happened to Arrow?"

The doctor shook his head. "I need to talk with his parent first. Right now, all you have to do is relax because he's okay now."

I wanted to ask for more clarity because Arrow's conditon had been a mystery to me. I wanted to hear something that might give me a glimmer of hope. However, I held no formal authority to dig more, unless Tita Meryl was present. Wala na akong ibang nagawa kun'di ang mapakagat sa aking labi dahil sa inis, pagtataka, at pagaalala.

"Can we see him?" Colton managed asking.

"Yes, once they transfered him to the private room," said the doctor.

Just like the doctor said, Arrow was moved to a quiet private room down the hall. Wala pa rin siyang malay nang mailipat siya kaya hanggang sa makarating kami sa private room ay hindi pa rin ako mapalagay.

"Dito na muna kayo," sambit ni Mr. Tor. "I need to return to the resort to check your classmates. Magpapadala na lang ako ng ibang teacher upang magbantay sa inyo dito."

"Okay, sir," said Colton.

"Bakit hindi ka na sumabay kay Mr. Tor?" tanong ni Maze kay Audrey. "Siguradong pagod ka."

Napalingon naman ako kay Audrey na nakasuot pa rin ng gown at may make-up pa sa mukha. "He's right," I said. "You need a rest, Audrey."

"Are you sure?" she asked, and I could feel concern was consuming her.

I nodded and said, "Yes, don't worry. Babalitaan ka na lang namin."

Nilapitan naman niya ako at hinawakan sa aking balikat. "Ikaw rin, huwag ka ng masyadong magalala dyan. He'll be alright."

"Okay. I'll try," I said, giving a forced smile.

Audrey took a last glance to Arrow who was peacefully sleeping, and then she followed Mr. Tor to go back to Coastal Paradise. Sina Colton at Maze naman ay saglit na nagpaalam upang bumili ng aming makakain. Hindi ko alam kung magagawa kong kumain gayong hindi pa idinidilat ni Arrow ang kanyang mga mata.