43: Verseluft

─────⋆˚ ༘🍵ˋ°.⍣─────

More weeks had passed and Arrow continued showing more symptoms of his illness. The once energetic guy was now struggling with simple tasks. His coordination with walking continued to fail him. Hindi na niya masyadong naitataas ang kanyang mga binti, dahilan para lalong bumagal ang kanyang paglalakad.

"Mabuti na lang ay naranasan kong sumali sa pageant bago ako maging penguin," sabi ni Arrow habang nasa harapan ng kanyang digital piano.

"Penguin?" tanong ko habang nakahiga sa kanyang kama, hawak ang libro na aking binabasa.

"Don't you notice? I looked like penguin while walking now," he said.

Arrow stood from his seat and walked for a few steps. He followed it with a heavy laugh, a genuine laugh. Hindi ko maiwasang masaktan, ngunit lalo akong bumibilib dahil sa pagiging positibo niya kahit na may iniinda siyang sakit.

If I were in his situation, I definitely wouldn't know how to handle it.

Nginitian ko naman siya. "Bakit hindi mo na lang ako turuang tumugtog ng piano?" tanong ko para maiba ang usapan.

He sat on his chair and said, "You already know how to play the piano. Remember, you helped me when I suddenly stopped playing at Maureen's birthday."

"Because I memorized the key," I stated.

"That's exactly what you should do to learn, memorize the key," he informed. "Pero kung mapilit ka, tara dito sa tabi ko. Tuturuan kita ng ibang pyesa."

Nakangiti naman akong lumapit sa kanya at naupo sa kanyang tabi. "What song are we going to play?" I asked.

He flashed a silly smile. "I'm going to play it and you'll guess it."

"Pahihirapan mo pa talaga ako bago mo ako turuan," saad ko. "Pero sige."

Nagsimula siyang tumugtog, at dinama ko ang bawat nota ng kanyang musika. The sweet melody filled the air as his fingers danced across the piano keys. I closed my eyes and tried guessing the music. It's familiar to me, and then I recalled what it was. Mabilis naman akong napalingon kay Arrow habang dama ko ang bigat ng aking loob.

"How Do I Say Goodbye?" I asked.

He drew a smile and said, "Yes."

He continued playing, focusing his eyes to the keys. I didn't know if he was trying to say a message to me through that music, but it made my spirit down. I could feel the corners of my mouth tugging downward into a frown. Habang tumutugtog ay napahinto si Arrow, kaya naman napatingin ako sa kanyang kamay. His fingers were shaking again.

"Do you wanna drink coffee?" He asked as he flashed me with his gaze. Alam kong sinadya niyang ibaling sa kanya ang pansin ko upang hindi ako magalala sa nanginginig niyang daliri.

"You mean, let's have a coffee outside?" I asked, taking his bait.

"Yeah. I want to try the caramel macchiatto again," he said, slowly removing his hands from the piano keyboard.

I recalled the first time I had a coffee with Arrow at Jojoe Cafe. Ibang-iba kami noon kumpara sa ngayon. He was cold and rarely showed sparkle of warmth back then, but now, he's more expressive and welcoming with other people's feelings.

"There's a bad news," I said. "May problema ang sasakyan kaya dinala muna ni Tita Meryl sa talyer."

"Why? What happened to the car?" he asked.

"The break pads worned out," I answered.

"Then, let's commute," he suggested, which made me bolt him a look.