𝕤𝕚𝕩𝕥𝕖𝕖𝕟 : 𝕊𝕙𝕒𝕞𝕖 𝕆𝕟 𝕄𝕖, 𝕐𝕠𝕦 𝔽𝕠𝕠𝕝𝕖𝕕 𝕄𝕖 𝕋𝕨𝕚𝕔𝕖

𝖏𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖊

We drove over to my mom's place, to fetch Mila. I kept glancing over at Billie as we drove, noticing the way the light from the street lamps seemed to bring out the red in her hair. The silence in the car was comfortable, but I couldn't shake the feeling that something was different. Maybe it was the fact that we had just had sex in my car, or maybe it was the way she kept looking out the window, lost in her thoughts.

As we pulled up to my mom's house, Billie took a deep breath and straightened her clothes. She turned to look at me, a small smile on her lips. "So, we're going to have a little girl in the family soon. Are you ready for that, Jesse?"

"She's always been my little girl, never Gab's. But yeah she adores you baby." I said softly, my hand brushing against hers. I couldn't help but smile at the thought. Billie's hand squeezed mine in return, a small smile tugging at the corner of her lips.

Billie was always close with my mom, 'till you know, we broke up and Billie cut all contact with me and her. They had this unspoken bond, always seemed to understand each other. It was something I envied.

We went in and Mila was babbling around her grandmother, who was sitting on the couch. "Oh you guys are here!"

Billie ran over and hugged my mom tightly, then bent down to kiss Mila's cheek. "Hey sweetie, how's my little girl?" she asked, her voice warm and gentle. Mila, still not quite sure who Billie was, just smiled shyly.

"She's been great, thank you," my mom replied, a small smile playing at the corners of her mouth. "It's so nice to have you both here. Jesse mentioned about Gab earlier."

Billie nodded and lifted Mila into her arms, holding her close. "How about we go get some ice cream?" she suggested, her voice light and hopeful. Mila's face lit up, and she squealed with delight. "Yay! Ice cream!"

"Thank you so much for taking care of her." I said, looking at my mom, a small smile on my face. "We appreciate it."

We left her house after a while and went to get ice cream. Billie and Mila giggled and chattered away in the backseat as I drove. It was a familiar sight, but something felt different. Something had changed. Maybe it was the way Billie was with Mila, like she'd always been part of her life. Or maybe it was the way she looked at me, her eyes soft and loving.

We arrived at the ice cream store and Billie gasped looking at the price. "T-This one's a new store and I have never been to this before. Per scoop costs 20 bucks!" She stuttered out, clearly taken aback.

"Babygirl chill. Like I said, it's all on me today. And I normally bring Mila here for ice cream." I assured her, reaching for my wallet. "You and Mila just enjoy your time. Get whatever you want."

We placed our order, and while Billie and Mila went up to get their cones, I paid for them and then met them up at the counter. Billie's eyes met mine as she handed Mila her cone, and there was a softness in them that I hadn't seen in so long. It was like she was finally starting to let go of the anger and hurt she'd been carrying around for all these years.

Mila had some ice cream on her nose and Billie giggled, wiping it off with a napkin. "Such a messy eater," she laughed, her voice light and loving. "You're going to be just like that when you grow up."

As we sat down at one of the outdoor tables, Mila carefully balanced her cone on the tabletop, her tiny fingers just barely managing to keep it steady. Billie watched her intently, a small smile playing at the corners of her lips. "She's such a sweetheart, Jesse. You're really doing a great job with her."