𝒕𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚 𝒐𝒏𝒆 : 𝑷𝒖𝒍𝒍 𝑴𝒆 𝑪𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒆, 𝑫𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝑺𝒂𝒚 𝒀𝒐𝒖'𝒓𝒆 𝑺𝒐𝒓𝒓𝒚

"Do you know her?" I asked and she nodded and pulled out her phone, calling someone.

𝚓𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚎'𝚜 𝚜𝚎𝚌𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚢

Mr. Rutherford is going to be so fucked up if he hears that Billie got into a car accident but I gotta inform him. I searched for his contact and called him, "Mr. Rutherford, it's Sarah. Um. . . I don't know how to tell you this but. . ."

"Sarah make it quick please, I'm in the middle of a meeting," Mr. Rutherford said impatiently.

"Yes, sir. Um, well. There was an accident. Billie was involved. She was hurt. I called the paramedics but they're taking her to the hospital down the street now. I thought you should know," I explained, trying to sound as calm as possible.

I heard Mr. Rutherford excuse himself from the meeting and he screamed into the phone. "What?!? Billie? Are you okay? Oh my god! Sarah, are you sure? Oh shit! Shit! Shit! Fuck! I'm on my way to the hospital now. I'll call you when I get there. Stay calm, stay calm, and call me if anything changes, okay?"

𝑗𝑒𝑠𝑠𝑒

What the fuck is happening now? I got into my car and slammed the car door and I don't give a fuck if I'm speeding but bitch my wife just got into an accident. I'm gonna fucking kill whoever did this to her. I finally get to the hospital and Sarah meets me at the entrance. "Jesse, she's in the emergency room. The doctors are still working on her but she's going to be okay. You can go see her now." I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my chest when I hear that.

I rush inside and see her lying on the bed, pale as a ghost. Fuck, she looks so small right now. "Billie?" I call out, moving to her bedside. She opens her eyes slowly, looking at me with such relief. "Hey. . . hi. . . I'm okay. . . but. . . the baby. . . I'm so sorry. . ." She trails off, tears streaming down her face. I take her hand in mine, squeezing it gently.

"Babe, listen to me. You're going to be fine. You hear me? You're going to be fine. And the baby. . . is gonna be okay too. But you're in the best hands here, okay? The doctors and nurses are going to take care of us. I'm right here, holding your hand, and I'm not letting go. So, just relax and try to rest." I squeeze her hand a little tighter, willing her to believe me.

She closes her eyes, trying to calm herself down. I lean in closer, brushing a strand of hair away from her face. "I'm so sorry this happened. I should've been more careful. I should've been there. I should've been driving you. I should've done so many things different." I kiss her forehead, wiping away her tears with my thumb.

"Shh, it's not your fault, okay? You didn't know. And I'm the one who should've been more careful. I should've been paying attention. We'll get through this together, okay? Just focus on getting better, and we'll figure everything else out." I stroke her cheek gently, wishing I could take all her pain away.

"I don't wanna lose our baby, Jesse. I can't handle it." Her voice breaks, and she starts to sob uncontrollably. I brush away her tears, kissing her forehead.

"Shh, baby. You're not going to lose them. I promise. The doctors and nurses are going to take care of us. We're going to be fine. We're in the best place, with the best people. And I'm not going anywhere. I'm right here. I'm not letting you go." I hold her hand tightly.

She takes a deep breath, trying to calm herself down. "Okay," she whispers. "Okay."

The doctor finally comes in, looking serious but reassuring. "The baby's fine. She's a little shaken up, but she should be just fine. Your wife is doing well too. She's going to have to stay here for a couple of days for observation, but she's in good hands. We'll keep a close eye on both of you." I let out a huge sigh of relief, wrapping my arms around Billie.

"Thank you, doctor," I manage to choke out. "Thank you so much." The doctor smiles at us and leaves the room. I lean in closer to Billie, kissing her forehead.

The next few days are a blur of doctors and nurses coming in and out of the room, monitoring her progress and the baby's. Every time someone new enters, Billie tenses up, her grip on my hand tightening. I try to reassure her, telling her that everything's going to be okay, that we're in good hands.

My mom visited every once and then with Mila, and I would take every opportunity I could to spend time with them. It was the only thing that felt even remotely normal. Billie would insist on holding her belly protectively whenever she wasn't hooked up to a monitor, and I would just sit there and watch her. It was like she was a fragile flower, and the slightest breeze could knock her over. I would try to make her laugh, tell her stupid jokes, and even sing to her, but most of the time she just wanted to sleep. My sleepy, exhausted wifey.

TO ᗷE ᑕOᑎTIᑎᑌEᗪ