Chapter 9: The Conflicted Heart (Dark Cupid)

Ryo POV

I heaved a heavy sigh.

Today is Valentine's Day and love is in the air for most others. For me, and those who are still looking for love, it's a pain to see other couples while longing for their special someone. Even after months of preparation. At first, I thought I might admit my feelings for Marinette.

But, considering her actions, those feelings started to drift away.

Now, I started to have feelings for Avaline. But, I feared that she may not feel the same way.

"Here's a question for you. Why do you think in most fairy tales the prince breaks the spell by kissing the spell?" Ms Bustier asked until Rose raised her hand.

"Rose?"

"Because only love can conquer hate!" Rose said as she swooned over.

Yeah. Stereotypical stuff. I thought.

"Correct, Rose." Our teacher replied.

Max stood up from his seat. "Technically speaking, this reasoning is only exhibited in about 87% of all fairy tales and-."

"We get it, Brainstorm!" Warren called, earning a scowl from Max as he sat down.

Ms Bustier turned to me. "I see that your thoughts are more important than the class, Mr Kusanagi." 

I snapped out of my thoughts and replied. "No, Ms Bustier. Not at all."

"Can you tell me what I just said?" She asked me.

"That's why in most fairy tales, the prince breaks the spell by kissing the princess because only love conquers hate," I replied.

"Very good, Ryo.  Now, everyone, don't forget to finish Sleeping Beauty by Charles Perrault tonight, and happy Valentine's Day, students!" Ms Bustier responded.

"Teacher's pet." Warren chuckled as he shoulder checked me.

"Asswipe." I growled after him.

As I exited the classroom, I went to my locker to collect my bag and books. Suddenly, I saw a letter on my bag and picked it up to read.

"Your chocolate coloured hair and ocean blue eyes. I wonder who you are beneath that strong disguise. Every day we see each other and I hope that you'll be mine, together our love could be so true, please, will you be my Valentine?"

"Well, well. Looks like you got an admirer." A voice said behind me.

Before I could react, Warren snatched the poem from my hands and read it out as loud as he could. As he finished, I looked to see Avaline blushing with embarrassment.

No way.

Avaline snatched the poem from Warren and stormed away while Abigail ran after her. I was about to follow them until I saw a black box inside my locker and picked it up.

As I opened the box, I looked to see an orange magatama bead.