Chapter 18: A Fox and A Wolf In The Night

Avaline POV

Ever since the kidnapping, I took some time off from school to recover. For the past couple of weeks, Ryo has been delivering me school work so that I won't miss out  and kept checking up on me. However, I couldn't bring myself to face him due to the revelation I uncovered.

Kitsune and Ryo are the same person.

The superhero I have a crush on is the Headstrong Nerd I started to fall for.

At night, I went out on patrol to clear my head until I saw Kitsune perched on the Eiffel Tower with his eyes closed. As soon as I landed behind him, he sighed.

"Shouldn't you be resting?" He asked me as he opened his eyes.

"I had a lot going on in my head and wanted some air." I replied.

Kitsune patted his hand on the ground next to him, indicating me to sit next to him. As I sat next to him, I felt his shoulder brush against mine.

"So, what happens now? I mean, we know each other's secret identity. So, how does this affect our friendship?" Kitsune asked.

"I never told you that I'm Dire-Wolf. And I sort of had a feeling that you and Kitsune are the same person. Just didn't know if I was right or not." I replied.

Kitsune shrugged. "Yeah well. It's no surprise. I figured my identity would be discovered. But, what happens between us? I mean, you have a crush on Kitsune, but you're friends with my civilian alter ego."

I shook my head. "No. Truth be told, I care about both versions of you. You. Ryosuke, are a smart, selfless, talented, compassionate, protective and determined person. And then there's Kitsune, who's pretty much like you on a broader scale. If anything, I think I'm way out of your league."

Kitsune held my hand. "I don't think you are. Sure, you may be cold and distant sometimes, but you care about others, especially Abigail. You have your flaws, but you don't let it bring you down."

I chuckled. "You know, at first I was distrustful about you because of how close you are to Marinette. How you said you have feelings for her. But, when I got to know you, I slowly started to draw closer to you. Wanting to get to know you more. You made me feel safe when I'm around you. Like nobody could hurt me."

Kitsune blushed at that. "I- er. Thank you. And I feel the same way."

I rested my head on his shoulder, enjoying his warmth and company.

"I'm really sorry about what happened to your father. About how conflicted you were when you saw Midas." I said.

"Don't be. Yes, I wanted to kill him. But, what good will that do? If anything, my father would've been disappointed in me for going down a path of revenge." Kitsune replied.

"Yeah. Maybe." I whispered.

I felt Kitsune's lips press against my forehead, causing me to smile a little.

"Was that uncomfortable?" Kitsune asked.

I chuckled. "No. Not at all. Let's stay like this for a while."

For a while, we snuggled up together enjoying each other's company until we had to part ways.