Chapter 9

The tension in the air had become almost palpable after my words, and panic swept through everyone present. Lords and ladies had always been taught the importance of obeying those in higher positions in the duchy ranking.

For observers, it was unthinkable that someone from a lower duchy would challenge someone with a higher rank. This would likely be the only time in their lives they would witness such an unusual situation.

Ludwik, taken aback by my comment, took a step forward and challenged me, "I think I didn't hear you correctly. Can you repeat that?... idiot."

His words hung in the air, and my own guards urgently whispered to me, "My lady, this is your chance to retract. Please do so..."

But as I had said before, I had no intention of backing down. And to make matters worse, Ludwik once again belittled me.

Determined not to be intimidated, I stepped forward and replied firmly, "I said you should watch your step, Shumil head."

The brief moment of tension was interrupted by the sound of stifled laughter echoing around us. However, the amusement lasted only for a few seconds as everyone jolted in surprise when Ludwik nearly lost control in rage.

He approached violently towards me, and I wondered what he would do next. Would he order me to be locked up? Would I be expelled from the academy? Or would he go so far as to resort to physical violence?

Before he could get in front of me, a hand landed on his shoulder, stopping him in his tracks. By the gods! It was unmistakable: white hair and eyes as red as blood. "Lord Lestilaut!" Ludwik and I said in unison.

Lestilaut's presence in the scene marked an unexpected turn in the conflict, and everyone held their breath, waiting to see how the situation would unfold.