Chapter 24

I quickly turned to Lady Eglantine, determined to clarify the situation. "That's not true," I asserted firmly.

Lady Eglantine looked at me with curiosity, her smile still present on her lips. I felt a momentary relief seeing that she didn't seem to be judging me based on Ludwik's comment.

I decided to further explain, "I just found it amusing how many encounters I've had today."

I hoped my explanation would alleviate any misunderstandings and prevent the situation from escalating.

However, Ludwik wasn't about to let the opportunity to accuse me slip away. With a disparaging tone, he mentioned, "She even dared to argue with Lord Lestilaut, the future AUB of Dunkelfelger."

His comment felt like a direct blow, and I was even more annoyed that he overlooked Lady Hannelore's existence, who was also vying for that title.

After Ludwik's unfortunate remark, Lady Eglantine turned to me with a serious expression and asked, "Is that true?"

I felt uncomfortable under her scrutiny, but I responded calmly, "I believe Lord Ludwik misunderstood our conversation. In fact, Lord Lestilaut and I concluded the discussion amicably."

Lady Eglantine observed me for a moment, evaluating my words, before turning to look at Ludwik.

Her elegant demeanor and imperturbable expression puzzled me. It was hard to discern what she was thinking, which left me feeling somewhat uneasy.