Chapter 32

Pov Eglantine (2nd):

This went on for a while, until finally one of the guards addressed their lord and told him they needed to leave. 

Lord Ludwik... yes, I remember him now, I met him some time ago.

He has a somewhat aggressive temperament towards those of lower status than him, I thought, observing the scene.

After hearing his guard's words, Ludwik seemed to come to his senses and the discussion finally seemed to be over.

She apologized for the third time and he left, not without calling her an "idiot." This seemed to deeply affect the girl, who remained frozen in the same place.

I looked at her and all I could do was watch her with some pity.

I understood how she felt, how tough it is to bend and not even be able to answer to someone of higher status than yours.

It's a humiliating situation, one that leaves you with a lump in your throat and a feeling of powerlessness that eats away at you inside.

"My lady, it's time to go," my guards said, snapping me out of my thoughts. "Very well, let's go," I said, looking empathetically at the girl.

My guards and I turned around ready to leave, but at that moment we heard the girl shout, "You're the one who should be careful, idiot!"

My guards and I turned around, shocked by what we had just heard.

"Is that girl out of her mind?" one of my guards whispered, and it was no wonder.

I thought I had misheard, but she had actually said it. I just stood there, mouth slightly open, processing what had just happened.

It seemed like she had found an inner strength, a spark of rebellion that drove her to confront her oppressor, regardless of the consequences.