Chapter 21

I sincerely hoped that my conversation with Hirschur had been enough to put an end to the matter once and for all. But it seems I underestimated the professor.

I would have to come up with another plan to avoid her asking more about the formulas.

I was so absorbed in this issue that I once again lost myself in my thoughts as I walked through the corridors of the academy.

It seemed that my guards were getting used to this, as they caught my attention by whispering, "Lady Detlinde! Over there..."

I turned to where they were pointing, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Again? By all the gods! It was Lord Ludwik himself... What was he doing here? Wasn't he supposed to be under Lestilaut's watch?

As he walked, Ludwik slowly approached me, and just the thought of another argument with that individual filled me with more and more stress.

I tried to keep calm as he drew nearer.

I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of seeing me upset or disturbed by his presence.

But I couldn't help feeling a wave of frustration as he approached.

What did he want now? Another pointless argument about who knows what trivial problem?

I took a deep breath, reminding myself of my purpose here.

I couldn't allow myself to be distracted by Ludwik's provocations.

I had more important matters to attend to, such as figuring out how to keep the secret of my knowledge about the mathematical formulas hidden.