Waves

My eyes adjusted within the dark room as Pansy's familiar hazel eyes are a mere inch from my face. The burning tears that stemmed from my anger had subsided, knowing that I'm in the comfort of an old friend.

"Why are you here? Let alone, why are you stomping and screaming as if half the people here would send you away in a heart beat!"

She whispered at me, frustration found in every word she spoke.

I scoffed at incredibly dense way of not even wondering where I have been.

"How dare you? For your information I had been tortured for-"

"Months...I know."

Even in the dark room, I could sense her eyes softening.

"We all knew...I hate saying this but the only people that were furious were Mattheo and Theo."

From the shift in volume of her voice, her head dropped.

Heavily sighing, I wonder around the dark room, reaching in front of me cautiously to find a place to sit. A sharp pain shot through my pinky toe, of course Pansy let out a little giggle before a small light illuminated the room behind me. Holding her hand over her mouth, she raised her wand to allow me to finally see my surroundings.

"You're such an ass."

I say half-heartedly.

Finally sitting down, my mind began to wonder as we sat in silence. No one else willing to stand up for me made me sick to my stomach. As the dim light cast shadows across the room, I could see the concern etched into Pansy's features as she regarded me with a mixture of guilt and remorse. I couldn't bring myself to meet her gaze, my anger still simmering beneath the surface as I grappled with the betrayal of those I once considered friends.

"Pansy, I... I didn't know,"

I murmured, my voice barely above a whisper.

"I didn't know you knew..."

Her expression softened, a flicker of empathy flashing in her eyes as she reached out to touch my arm gently.

"I should have said something,"

She admitted, her voice tinged with regret.

"I should have stood up for you, but... I was scared, Amalia. Scared of what they might do to me if I spoke out."

I nodded in understanding, the weight of her words settling heavily upon me.

"I know,"

I whispered, my voice thick with conflicting feelings of frustration due to the fact Mattheo and Theo were willing to get hurt for me, but on the other hand, I understood, it's terrifying, especially with all of the power these Death Eaters have.

"I know we've had our differences, but... I never imagined you would just stand by and do nothing while I suffered."

Pansy's eyes filled with tears, her voice trembling as she spoke.

"I'm so sorry, Amalia,"

She whispered, her voice barely audible above the sound of my own sobs.

"I was a coward, and I let you down. But I promise, from now on, I'll do everything in my power to make it right."

Pansy grabbed my hand, rubbing small circles on the back of my palm. Holding onto such warmth reminded me that Pansy only ever wanted to help back in year five, she did a shit way of doing it, yet her intentions were pure. She's always been pure. Suddenly a pang of guilt washed over me, I had abandoned the first person I considered a friend, just to befriend someone who had an ulterior motive for our friendship.