Chapter 25: A Little Play

Back in the land of Mesopotamia, Nitasa was laying on her bed.

Her torso had ballooned widely, her stomach having grown to the side of a basketball. She grunted in pain with every single movement.

Surrounding her were multiple women. One was rubbing a strange, sticky ointment on her stomach while another had a wooden pin rolling across it gently. Another was sitting and handing Nitasa pieces of wood to chew on when she felt pain, tearing and breaking them repeatedly and covering herself and the floor in splinters.

"I don't know why she's taking so long. The other women here have their children in nine months. It has been eleven. We have seen the phases of the moon eleven times and yet still my wife has not borne our child." Ašane said.

He was standing with another man, who was seeming to think.

"Perhaps your child is being dragged by a Demon. Have you repeated A Cow of Sin?" The man asked.

Ašane nodded his head.

"Of course I have. As well as the Story of Atra-hasis." He replied.

The man nodded.

"Good, good. Now we must wait." He said.

Nitasa suddenly screamed, her body arching as tears ran down her face.

Ašane and the man ran into the room while the women continued to touch and rub her to try and help relieve the pain.

"I am here my love. I am here." Ašane said, gripping her hand tightly.

Nitasa stared into his eyes, the life seeming to fade more and more with every passing second.

Her body was convulsing, the women trying to hold her down while another went between her legs.

Blood began to pour out like a constant waterfall, flooding the bed and floor as everyone screamed in fear and confusion.

A small object began to emerge.

A baby covered in blood crying and screaming.
The midwife quickly grabbed them, lifting them up while Nitasa's body went limp and motionless.

Everyone was panting in fear and shock as they grabbed cloth to dry and clean the baby.

Ašane fell back into a chair, struggling to comprehend what he just witnessed.

"It's a boy." The midwife said, holding the baby towards him.

He extended his arms, holding the nicely wrapped baby while staring down at the innocent face that cried out.

He looked at Nitasa, who was motionless on the bed.

Her arm fell and dangled down by the side while the other women were trying to wake her back up. Trying to get a response from her.

"Nitasa?" Ašane asked.

He handed the baby back to the midwife, quickly jumping and shaking his wife in a hope she would respond.

"Nitasa!" He shouted as he shook her body more.

She was lifeless.

Her body became cold as her eyes were shut, her face at ease.

Ašane began to cry, shaking her harder.

"Nitasa!"

Echoed through Grand Angel's head, staring out at the village.

His body was morphed back into one made of the Universe, a human shaped collection of dark space with twinkling stars.