chapter nineteen; block me out

"i've been thinking way too loud, i wish that i could block me out." block me out;gracie abrams

"OH... SORRY. MIMI, can we talk?"

Sunny turned around and looked at the boy, a rather distasteful look on her face, then back to me. I nodded at her, reassuring her that I would be okay and that she could leave. She returned the gesture, hugging me tightly before leaving, without a second glance at Walker. She did whisper something to him, though. Something that made him grimace slightly.

My gaze trailed the girl as she left. Then, after much consideration, I willed myself to look at Walker.

A thousand thoughts flew through my head. Jasmine was pretty. Gorgeous, even. She also looked uncomfortably similar to me. Could Walker not let her go? Did he prefer her over me? Was he coming here to tell me that he was done with me, and he wanted Jasmine?

Everything about his facial expression screamed guilt. I could read him like an open book; he was the most expressive person I knew. But in this situation, I couldn't be sure what he felt guilty about. The fact that he was still talking to this other girl, or the fact that he got caught.

"You wanna talk?" I asked him, harshly glaring at the boy. "Then talk."

The blonde boy gaped at me for a minute before sitting down in front of me - on the chair across the room. His posture was tense, his eyes were wide as if he was terrified beyond his years. He leant forwards on his elbows, gazing at me.

"Well?"

"I... I told Jasmine that I was done." Walker stuttered as he spoke. "I asked her to leave, and told her that I wasn't interested in pursuing anything with her."

I raised an eyebrow, chewing on the inside of my cheek. I tasted blood on my tongue. "Why?" I whispered.

"Because, Maya. Because I'm only interested in pursuing something with you. I'm only interested in you, period." Walker blurted out. "I never said anything before, but I hate this no labels thing. It's driving me insane. I want to be with you, and just you. And I want everyone to know it."

I painful silence fell over us. Walker peered at me with his ocean blue eyes. I glared back at him with my scorching hazel ones. Neither of us said anything for a minute.

"Go on, then." I said.

"What?" Walker replied, confused.

I laughed softly. "Ask me, Seaweed Brain."

"Ask you what?"

"To be your girlfriend."

Walker stared at me for a second before laughing. "Not like this. Not tonight. I don't want to remember the time I ask you to be my girlfriend like this."

"That's considerate of you." I teased. Sunny would be very disappointed that I forgave him this quickly.

"I know."

——

"Maya, you have fifteen minutes. You really need to get better at time management." Dior lectured me as she sat on my bed, watching as Sunny did my hair.

"To be fair, I had to redo my makeup." I defended myself to the girl, making her laugh.

It was the next day, and Walker had finally asked me out on a proper date. I was terrified, honestly. We had hung out one on one many times before, but now that it was officially a romantic setting, the nerves we getting the better of me.