chapter thirty one; down bad

"for a moment i knew cosmic love, now im down bad crying at the gym. everything comes out teenage petulance." down bad ; taylor swift.

"DREAM FUTURE CAR?"

"Easy. A pink porsche taycan. Duh."

"Right, how could I forget? Favourite shade of blue?"

"What?"

"It's a very important question, it will define who you are as a person."

"Okay then. Turquoise."

"Favourite feature about yourself?"

I blankly glared at the pretty boy. "Stop that."

"Fine, I have one. Your eyes, your hair, your freckles, your lips, your smile... fuck, maybe I have hundreds."

I blushed at the boys words, waving him off as he tried to tackle me against his body. We sat on the shore of Venice Beach, sprawled across a picnic blanket as the sun ascended above the horizon.

"I can't help that you're perfect." Walker beamed, snaking a warm arm around my waist. He tugged me towards him so my legs were draped across his lap and my head was resting on his shoulder.

"You're too perfect for me, Seaweed Brain." I sighed, smiling to myself as I sunk into his warmth. I heard the boy scoff, placing a light kiss on the top of my head.

"I know." He sighed wistfully, earning a smack on the chest from me. Walker laughed, lacing his warm fingers between mine. "I'm kidding, Jesus. You're obviously way too good for me and I worship the ground you walk on."

"That's more like it." I grinned, pecking him on the cheek. He blushed under kiss, his blue eyes widening. It was funny - we'd been together for a solid few months now, but he still got hot and bothered every time I showed affection towards him. I thought it was sweet that time didn't change his feelings towards us.

"My turn." I cleared my throat, shuffling slightly so I faced the boy. "Favourite colour?"

Walker cocked his head at me, giving me a knowing smile. "Still hazel, Mimi. What about yours? Still ocean blue?"

"Nope. Maroon."

"Excuse you?"

"I'm joking! It's still ocean blue, idiot. And it will be forever more." I squealed as he tackled me onto the sand, rolling around with me. He stopped as I confessed the truth, beaming with joy.

"Good. Considering that I changed my favourite colour for you, I expect you to do the same." Walker said, letting me up. He helped me to shake all the sand from my hair and the little bits of seaweed stuck to my jumper.

I rolled my eyes at his words. "You can't do something nice and expect something in return, Walker."

The blonde boy frowned at me, attempting to hide his grin. "It isn't nice, it's romantic. And romance needs to go both ways, or it doesn't work."

I giggled at him, leaning down to trace patterns in the soft sand. "My apologies, Mr. Walker William Scobell, next time we go on a date, I'll buy you a ruby necklace."

"That would be espléndido." He laughed, putting to use his recent Spanish classes. "Speaking of romance, do you remember what today is?"

My stomach fluttered, as I titled my head to look at the boy. He hadn't said anything when we woke to see the sunrise this morning, so I presumed that he'd forgotten. But maybe he hadn't.