chapter thirty; video games

"it's you, it's you, it's all for you. heaven is a place on earth with you, tell me all the things you wanna do." video games ; lana del rey

"WAKE UP, LOVE birds!" An irritating screeching noise awoke me on that fine, Tuesday morning. I groaned, swatting away the small boy that loomed over me.

"Fuck off, Vinnie." I murmured, hiding my eyes from the light. My little brother shamelessly yanked open my curtains, sighing as the pink and orange glow filled my bedroom. Walker lay still underneath me, struggling to open his eyes.

"You say that now, but I'm actually helping you. Walker might wanna get out before -" Vinnie paused as a gentle thumping of footsteps echoed through the hallway. "Never mind, it's too late."

I suddenly realised what the boy was on about and threw off my covers in a rush. Walker didn't pick up on my reason for panic, so he just rolled over with a loud groan, curling up to my side. Just as I was trying to wrestle the boy off me, my mother walked into my room.

"Oh, you kids." My mom rolled her eyes, crossing her arms in a very condescending manner. Walker finally sat up, adorning a sickly-sweet smile. The boy was on a winning streak with my mother, and he didn't want to ruin that now. Although, it was seeming as though he might of just.

"Good morning, Helen." He grinned, squeezing my bare waist out of urgency. "How'd you sleep?"

My mom lowered her head slightly, shaking her head at my boyfriend's ability to suck up. "Mr. Scobell, I'm letting you stay here on the condition that you sleep in the spare bedroom down the hall. You know this."

Walker exhaled nervously, obviously scared that he'd gotten caught. In all honesty, my mom didn't care as much as she let on. She trusted me, and she adored Walker. But for the sake of good parenting, she was obligated to lay some ground rules. Me and him sleeping separately was the most extreme of them.

"I know. I'm sorry, Helen. We fell asleep watching a movie!" He defended himself, making me giggle. He took his relationship with my mom very seriously; but he also didn't want to risk his living situation for the next month.

"It's okay, Walker. Just don't let it happen again." My mom narrowed her eyes at us, smiling cynically. "You might want to get up and get ready, though."

I slipped out of bed, Walker immediately after me. He threw a shirt over his head, quickly fixing his wildly curly hair in my mirror. "Why?" I asked her as she leaned against the door frame. She rolled her eyes at my incompetence, walking over to my wardrobe and pulling it open. She reached inside, removing a white, matte dress bag with Prada sewn into its surface. I gasped, checking the date on my phone. It was December 15th, the day of the Percy Jackson premiere.

God, time moved fast.

I yelped, jumping into action. I had to be at the makeup venue downtown in about an hour, get my hair done, have help putting on my dress, meet Dior and Momona for photos and then get to The Met. Days like these were often stress-filled and action-packed, and I'd had plenty of experience with them. Walker, on the other hand, had only been to one.

"Wanna get dressed Seaweed Brain? We have to leave in like, twenty minutes." I urged the boy, shuffling through my cupboard in search for some appropriate attire. The blond boy groaned loudly, slowly trekking into my ensuite to have a quick shower and get ready. I was jealous of him, in some senses. It would take him a whole fifteen minutes at the most to get ready, whereas I had to endure multiple hours of preparation.

"Oh also, don't forget, you're doing the vogue makeup interview as well." My mom reminded me before ducking out of my room. I gasped, having completely forgotten about the entire thing. I hastily chose a white knitted tracksuit from edikted, hoping that it was pretty enough for a vogue interview.