chapter twenty eight; skinny dipping

"to take it all off and just exist, like skinny dipping, water under the bridge." skinny dipping ; sabrina carpenter

"WALKER." I SIGHED, inevitably confused as I revealed the boy standing on the other side of the door. My heart thundered in my chest, the blood pumping loudly through my ears.

Walker.

He was here.

For me.

I was shocked to see him, to say the least. To my knowledge, he was half way across the country, and currently ignoring me. Little did I know, he was waiting on my front porch.

I gaped uselessly at Walker for a long moment, baffled on what to say to him. I looked backwards over my shoulder to Xochitl, who appeared just as shocked as me.

"You're... here." I bleakly remarked.

He hid his hands in his pockets, rocking back and forth on his feet. Walker's ocean blue eyes were swimming with worry, his whole face carved with anxiety and nerves. He chewed his lower lip before he spoke. "I was going to come a few weeks from now, before you left for England. But Leena booked me an earlier flight, and my mom doesn't know yet, so she's going to kill me... but I had to come see you." He spoke breathlessly, his cheeks flushed pink by the cold morning breeze.

I stared at him. Silently. I didn't know what to say to him; he'd blatantly disregarded me for the last thirty-six hours, then flown here unannounced. Selfishly, I was angry. Angry at how unfairly Walker had treated me, angry at him showing up without a heads up, angry that he thought that him coming here would fix everything.

I heard Xoch subtly clear her throat from behind me, mumbling something about making breakfast. Once her retreating footsteps had fallen silent, I found it within myself to speak.

"Why are you here, Walker?" I whispered, gripping the handle of the door so hard my knuckles were turning white. The boy had caused me too much grief for my own good - the whole ordeal was highly stressful yet completely unnecessary.

The blonde boy pulled his jacket tighter around him. He ran his hand through his hair, sighing out of nerves. "Because I love you, Maya. And I'm fucking stupid, and I've fucked everything up." He chewed on his lip, not blinking as he stared into my eyes. "I couldn't... I couldn't not try to fix things. I had to come see you in person."

I ran my tongue over my teeth, thinking about how I'd gotten myself into this situation. I checked over my shoulder for any lingerers, before I invited the boy inside.

"All of the girls are here, so we have to be quiet. Come up to my room." I instructed him, pointing to the large group of teen girls sprawled across my living room floor. Walker merely nodded, following me up the stairs.

I pushed open my bedroom door, letting Walker trail in behind me. I softly clicked it shut behind him, watching curiously as he absorbed our new setting. Although he was my boyfriend, he'd never seen my bedroom before, apart from through a screen.

I placed myself down on my bed as Walker approached my wall. Mounted at eye level was a white cork board, pinned with countless photos of me and him. Pictures on the beach, pictures in restaurants, pictures in photo booths. There were so many memories scattered on the board; each and every one laced with happiness and love.

I didn't want them to be tainted by what was about to happen.

"Sit down, Walker." I rolled my eyes as he inspected every print that covered my wall; the boy gawked at a photo of me from a Prada shoot that was stuck to my wall. He eventually turned, smiling shyly, shuffling to sit next to me.