Chapter 2

~Why not listen to some music while you read?~

" We saved you didn't we? Aren't you going to thank us?" asked the man who wanted us killed. "Huh? Um... Thank you very much for saving us." replied the person next to me as he stood up and brushed his clothes. "Oh, um thank you" I repeated.

Where was I anyway? I was so terrified I forgot that I didn't even know where I was. While I was thinking the person who ran with me started to speak.

"I apologize for not thanking you earlier. I was... There was so much going on. I was a little confused."

I stared at the people in front of me. The man known as Saito showed a face of confusion. His eyes were wide and had an expression I couldn't place. Hijikata looked as though he had taken a bite of something sour. The atmosphere became quiet and awkward for everyone.

"I-I know it seems weird to...say that..." said the person next to me flustered. "But he told me to say thanks, so I-"

The man suddenly started to laugh. "Ha! Oh man... Well, my apologies. I certainly did tell you to do, didn't I?" He broke into laughter once again before straightening up.

"Well, you're welcome, I'm Okita Souji. Nice to meet kids who know how to be polite."

The person next to me was speechless so I decided to talk for her. "Thank you for helping us..." Not really sure what else to do I bow again followed by the person next to me.

"What the hell do you think you're doing, Okita?" said Hijikata in an agitated tone.

"Commander, I understand our concerns but we must move." spoke Saito with quiet urgency.

The man called Okita grabbed hold of the person's wrists while the one called Saito held mine. On his face was a slight blush. "Why is a woman wearing such provocative clothing?" he muttered to himself while walking. Was my clothes really that revealing? I am wearing a winter coat and skinny jeans but it isn't revealing anything. I decided to let it go and just stay quiet for the time being.

His grip was too tight to be friendly; his fingers like iron cables around my arm. There was no question about my situation. If I were to run, I would die.

"It would be best if you two prepared for the worst. I doubt this will end well for the both of you." His words were like a dagger in my stomach.

What was going to happen to me? Was I...was I going to die? I thought. I looked over to see the person who ran with me and noticed that he seemed to be in the same state as I. As we walked through the cold night, I felt horror begin to crawl its way up my spine once again.

I am going to go mad.