Chapter 41

~Why not not listen to music while you read?~

A demon?! Sen was a demon?!

"I am in fact, a princess, Princess Sen."

With that, she gave us an elegant bow, exactly like one might expect from a princess.

"I come from a family of ninja who have served Princess Sen and here family for generations."

"I had wondered why you were being friendly. You were gathering information on the Shinsengumi."

"I have no idea what you mean."

Sen's body guard tilted her head to the side politely and met Hijikata's glare with an innocent smile.

"You know her?!"

"Move your eyes up about six inches, That's Kimigiku. She's dressed a little different from when we met her at Shimabara, but that's her face alright."

"What?!" 

Nagakura nearly fell over in shock. After recovering, he made a great show of staring pointedly at Kimigiku's face. For his effort, he received a smile identical to the one Hijikata received."

"We demons have lived in this country since... Well, since a very long time ago. The top officials in the shogunate and in many of the domains already know of us."

It was still something of a shock, but after meeting Kazama and his companions, it was somewhat easier to accept Sen's explanation as the truth.

"Most demons had no interest in human matters and preferred to be left alone to go about their own affairs at peace. However, humans in positions of power saw that they might achieve greater things with the assistance of demons, and so demanded that assistance."

"And...did the demons obey?"

"Many did not. They felt they had no obligation to involve themselves  in human affairs. Human ambition meant nothing to them. But when they refused, the human lords were furious. The sent out great armies to destroy the villages of the demons."

"That's horrible."

"The demon clans scattered across the country and were sent into hiding. No longer isolated in their own communities, demons began to mate with humans. These days, there are few demons who claim a pure bloodline."

"And I assume Kazama is one of those?"

Sen nodded. "Currently, the greatest pureblood family in the west is the Kazama, who have the support of the Satsuma Domain. The head of that family you have already met: Kazama Chikage"

"Kazama Chikage, huh."

"In the East, the largest family is the Yukimura."

"What?!"

I had heard the Yukimura family had been destroyed, but it would seem there is a survivor. That survivor is her."

Sen looked over to Chizuru whose eyes were wide and full of shock.

"Chizuru, the blood that runs in your veins is pure and strong. I sense great power from you."

"What about Haruna, then? How is she connected?" asked Chizuru.

"Haruna comes from the Suzumori clan that once protected the Yase clan, but the Suzumori clan were destroyed and few hundred years ago. There were rumors of being survivors in hiding but nothing was proved."

"But I'm no from this time. I can't be a..."

"Yeah, that's right! She said she was from the future. "

"I can only guess that her family had the help of Princess Yase. The princess is the strongest of all demons was able to dream of the future. It was said that the princess was able to go to otherworldly places and I guess that is true. Since Haruna is here. Princess Yase must have sent her family to the future, away from harm."

My mind went blank. I'm not from the future? My parents were from this time? I don't understand. Suddenly, the memories came rushing back.

"Aah!"

There was fire and screaming and I was being carried by someone. I looked up to see who it was. It was mother. Mother and father were running somewhere in the woods.They stopped at a building and bowed at someone. The person spoke words I was unable to comprehend and I fell asleep. The next thing I knew, I was in the future but I couldn't remember any past events.

"Haruna! Are you alright?!" 

Everyone's face had a hard look of concern as broke into a cold sweat. The memories of my clan being destroyed were flooding back.

"I-I am fine. Please go on."

Still having a face of concerns, Sen went on. "...Like the Yukimura clan, the Suzumori clan was also a clan full of strong purebloods. Haruna too has the blood of pure demon."

The finality of her words brought a cold silence to the room. I tried my best to stay calm. I had no desire to believe her story, but considering the memories that I had, the more it made sense. I was a demon from the Suzumori clan. Now I knew why Kazama was after us, and why I had always healed so much more quickly than anyone else.

"If they are indeed the descendant of a purblood demons, then Kazma's desire for them is clear. Should two purebloods mate, they will produce an even more powerful demon."

"Ah... So he wants either of them for his bride."

"After a fashion, es, Kazama will definitely return for them Thus far he has been content to toy with you, but I cannot guess how much longer that may last. Should he devote all of his formidable abilities to this task, I do not think you will be able to protect them. Even the Shinsengumi cannot stand against the true power of a demon."

"Whoa there, Princess. You don't think that's going a bit far?"

"Shinpachi's right. You aren't giving us enough credit."

"The only reason you are still alive is because Kazama and his companions have not turned their full strength on you."

"Then let them. I should dearly like to see the power of a true demon."

"Sanan!"

Kazama and his friends already demonstrated incredible strength; even the captains of the Shinsengumi had been easily brushed aside. That was not the full extent of their strength. Demons are much stronger.