Chapter 15

~Why not listen to music while you read?~

I had met up with Chizuru and the others by the end of the day. Chizuru had told me that Hijikata encountered the man who injured Okita at Ikedaya, the runaway Choshu had commit honorable suicide and some other soldiers escaped, setting Kyoto ablaze as the fled.

The Choshu extremists' attempted attack on the imperial estate eventually came to be known as the Hamaguri Rebellion. Although the Shinsengumi were called into action, their efforts were stymied, and they found little in the way of glory. Communication with their superiors had been poor at best and they spent much of the battle waiting with the reserves.

When the Shinsengumi did finally enter the battle, they found several stranged opponents awaiting them: Kazama Chikage, the man who had defeated Okita at Ikedaya, claimed to be from the Satsuma Domain during his encounter with Hijikata. Amagiri Kyuju, the man that shattered Heisuke's head guard at Ikedaya, also claimed membership in the Satsuma. The had also met Shiranui Kyo, who had fought alongside men from Choshu.

Whoever they were, it was pretty clear they were not allies of the Shinsengumi. In fact, it seemed they could easily become some of their greatest enemies. The weird part was that I couldn't remember any of their names in history. There was never a Kazama Chikage, Amagiri Kyuju, or Shiranui Kyo and it confused me.

After everything had been sorted out, the Shinsengumi were at last given permission to patrol outside of Kyoto, from Osaka to Hyogo. And with the Hamaguri Rebellion over, the Choshu were branded as traitors for attacking the estate. From then on, the were acknowledged enemies of the court.

February 1865

I have been stuck in the Meiji era for over a year now. My last hopes of ever returning have almost completely diminished. I try not to think about it often. I get depressed and blue when I think about being stuck here forever.

After breakfast one day, I found myself on my way to the common room with Chizuru, holding trays with tea.

"Tea is ready." I made my room around half the room while Chizuru did the other half pouring a cup of tea for each person there, making sure not to spill any. 

"Oh than you, Suzumori." Inoue said with a smile. "There is nothing quite so delicious as hot tea on a cold day."

Oh how I wish all the customers at the restaurant would treat me nicely like this. Then Hijikata spoke, and his words brought me back to the present.

"The Yagi have been good to us so far, but this place is getting crowded."

"True, it is getting a little small, especially with all the new guys coming in." Nagakura said in agreement.

Heisuke was currently in Edo, recruiting more men for the Shinsengumi ranks, which meant even more men, right?

It waas always good to have more soldiers but the were beginning to run out of space at the compound. The soldiers were being packed into smaller and smaller rooms.

"If we could move to a bigger place, then that would be great. The guys are starting to get a little grump about being packed together in those rooms every night."

To be honest. I felt a bit guilty. I only had to share a room with Chizuru but the others had to share one room with multiple people.

"Easy for us to say, but its gonna be hard to find someone else who is willing to let us stay at their place. You have someone in mind?" Okita asked seriously.

Hijikata's smile was almost prepatory. "The Nishi Honwanji temple."

"Ahahahaha! They aren't gonna like that very much! You're thinking we'll just force our way in? Guess I wouldn't expect anything less from you, Hijikata."

Wait...where is the Nishi Hongwanji temple? I know, I lived in Kyoto, but all the streets are different here and I can't find my way around without getting lost.

"It's pretty big. I'll give you that, but I really don't think the monks are going to take a bunch of soldiers living in their temple." Sanosuke said flatly. "Still the location is great. We'll be able to get out into the city a lot quicker than from out her in Mibu."

At the time, the Shinsengumi's headquarters was in the Mibu area, which was on the outskirts of Kyoto. Harada was right in that the current location made it difficult for the Shinsengumi t reach some parts of Kyoto quickly, which reduced their effectiveness.

"Will they really not want us there?" asked Chizuru.

Saito only shrugged. "The Nishi Hongwanji temple has been cooperating with the Choshu. Some of their ronin have stayed there."

"Oh."

Hmm. If they supported the Choshu, the that would make the Shinsengumi their enemy, right? If that's the case them the probably won't welcome us with open arms. And that meant a whole other level of difficulty. Asking for a place to stay was hard enough, but asking that from an enemy? I thought while putting my fingers on my chin.

Saito seemed to take a notice of me before starting to speak." No doubt they will e less than receptive to our overtures. On the other hand, if we should move into the Nishi Hongwanji temple, the Choshu would have one less place to hide their agents.

"Oh!" I said while pounding my fist on my palm. Not only was the location desirable, but taking the temple would make the enemy's movement more difficult. Whatever problems we had acquiring the temple would likely be worth it.