Chapter 42

~Why not listen to music while you read?~

"Let me be clear, lady. We're the Shinsengumi, The wolves of Mibu. We're not gonna piss ourselves over a demon or two."

"Very true. Besides, we've got the Demon himself in command, don't we?"

"Okita, Always have to have the last word don't you?"

"I understand how you feel, bu... You must realize that these men are unlike any other foe you have faced before. That is why I must ask you to leave the girls to us. In our care, their chances of survival will be much higher.

"Hey, give us a chance, alright? Are you trying to say we can't protect them?"

"Besides, what do you mean by 'chances'? If you can't guarantee their safety, I don't see why we should hand them over to you."

"Look lady, you're not part of the Shinsengumi, so I'd appreciate it if you could keep your nose out of our business, alright?"

They had made it quite clear that they weren't interested in Sen's offer. Perhaps they'd been a little harsh, but I couldn't deny the warm feeling of being part of a family who was unwilling to let me go. 

"What about you, Hijikata. You've acknowledged their strength. Surely you must at least consider the princess's offer. Please, give them to us."

"That's different."

Kimigiku's smile froze.

"I don't know how strong our enemy really is, but that doesn't change the fact that we'll protect them, in the name f the Shinsengumi. Besides, you are a demon too. Why should we trust you?"

"Do you understand who you're speaking to? Princess Sen is a descendant of Suzuka Gozen-" ( A female demon said to have lived with on Suzuka Mountain. She fell in love with Sakanoue Tamuramaru and went to live with him in Yase.)

"You are the descendant of Suzuka Gozen?! Does that mean you are the current Princess Yase?!"

Like Sen said, the Suzumori clan guarded the Yase clan and well as their princess. I was supposed to be trained to guard the princess of my time but then...my clan was destroyed. 

"Uh, yes. I currently am."

After hearing the words from her mouth I bowed deeply to her. I had been trained since a baby to show respect towards Princess Yase

"Forgive me fore my rudeness, Princess. I did not realize you were the Princess Yase."

I continued to bow as the Shinsengumi member's eyes widened. They probably did not expect for this to happen.

"It's alright, Haruna. Lift your head up. This isn't necessary."

Sen looked very flustered as I lifted my head from the floor. Although she said this, the Princess Yase is still the Princess Yase, even if she isn't the one I was supposed to serve. The topic had changed but Sanan decided to go back on track with the original discussion.

"...I agree with Hijikata. They should stay here with the Shinsengumi."

"Did you see Suzumori? She knows her duty as a demon of the Suzumori clan! You can't-!"

"Kimigiku. Stop. It is unnecessary. Is there no way I can convince you?"

Kondou had remained silent for most of the discussion, his arms folded in thought, but at last he spoke.

"...Yukimura. Suzumori. What do you have to say about this?"

"Me? Um...Well, I...uh..."

Chizuru started to stutter but I stayed silent. My decision could change everything.

" I see. it must be difficult to discuss with an audience. You out to speak with Princess Sen, alone."

"What the hell Kondou?!"

Hijikata wasn't the only one to object; most of the room rose in protest.

"There should be at least one witness. The princess may take Kimigiku as well."

"No, that's not necessary." Kondou swept his gaze across the room. "They have shown themselves to be reasonable. I've no doubt they won't do anything foolish. Am I correct?"

"Of course. I would never betray you. Any of you."

I don't know how to answer. I wish I could say the same thing. Not knowing what to do I nodded my head after Chizuru's answer.

"Well if Kondou says so..."

Okita's words spoke for the rest of them as well. They might not like it, but Kondou was the chief. What said, went.

"You won't steal them away the moment the three of you are alone, will you?"

"You needn't worry. I am not Kazama."

"We'll be fine. Princess Yase isn't a bad person." I said with a small smile. 

"Why thank you Haruna, but you don't have to call me Princess Yase."

She smiled.