Chapter 27

~Why not listen to music while you read?~

It began so fast in the span of a blink I'd missed Hijikata's sword move to strike Kazama's blade in a furious clash of metal. The two swords ground against each other, screaming in protest. Even from a distance away, I had felt the impact they'd met. but Kazama seemed unfazed.

Hijikata's eyes flickered to Chizuru and I before going back to Kazama. "What the hell do you want with these kids anyway?!"

"They are too much for you. We've come to take them off your hands. Quite simple."

"And just what's that supposed to mean?!"

Their blades shuddered and danced too fast for my eyes to follow All I could catch was the flicker of movement as the moonlight caught them, and the flash of sparks when they met. They leaped at each other, blades flashing, and met for a moment. The two men sprang away, circled, and then leaped again. The clipped strands of Kazama's hair drifted away on a cool evening breeze.

"...I see."

There were no signs of fear on his face. Instead, I saw what I thought was perhaps the tiniest flicker of respect. He lowered his swords.

"What the hell is this?"

Both men stepped back, their fight clearly finished.

"Further fighting serves no purpose. We will do nothing more than attract unwanted attention."

Amagiri's voice was calm; as deep and harsh as two boulders grinding together.

"What, you talking to me? C'mon, I know when to leave a party."

Kazama looked at his companions momentarily, then nodded.

"Yes, our suspicions have been confirmed. We've no need to stay. This time, we only came to say hello."

"Do you really believe we'll simply allow you to walk away?"

"Then call your men. You three may survive, but how many of your soldiers will we slaughter before we escape Will you spend their lives so easily?"

There was no doubt that Kazama and his companions were powerful. There was no edge of arrogance in his voice... Only cold fact. They left silently, fading into the darkness, but as he did Kazama spoke one last time.

"I will return for you. Soon."

He was far out of arms reach, but his words felt as if they brushed against my cheek, cold and threatening. A shiver ran up my spine.

'Whoa! Are you alright, Haruna, Chizuru?"

Chizuru took the hand that Harada offered, while I pulled myself to my feet.

Hijikata was still staring intently out into the darkness, but when he spoke it was to us.

"Oi. You got any idea why they were after you?"

They had said we were demons, just like them. Was Kazama telling the truth? I didn't know.

"I'm not really sure."

So much had happened. My mind spun, full of questions. Once the rest of the men returned, there was a meeting among the captains. The subject of the meeting was the three men who had appeared at Nijo Castle: Kazama Chikage, Amagiri Kyuju, and Shiranui Kyo. They had called themselves demons, and their previous encounters with the Shinsengumi suggested that they were involved, somehow, with the Satsuma and Choshu. Although it wasn't clear if the three men were members of any domain, the Satsuma and Choshu were the most vocal imperialist domains. What was clear was they- Kazama, Amagiri, and Shiranui- were not to be taken lightly.

There was another problem however... Why had they come for Chizuru and I? Hijikata asked if we had any idea why they would have targeted us, but I was as desperate to know as he was. They had called me one of them, and they had known my last name. Kazama even said it was one that was pretty much non existent. I don't know what to tell them. I was born into a normal family. My parents were normal. Who am I? Why am I here?