Chapter 51

~Why not listen to music while you read?~

"What is needed of me right now is not to kill this man... But to protect the Shinsengumi."

"That's right."

"My apologies."

"...How much do you know of the history of demons?"

"What? The demons who live in this country were once a sing;e clan but now they are split between the east and the west.

"The Western clan is the Kazama family and the eastern clan is mine, right? The Yukimura?"

Amagiri nodded. Really? There used to be ten clans... We were part of the Ten Demon Alliance. What happened?

"This schism came to pass when the clans chose sides during the Battle of Sekigahara. The Yukimura family chose to help the armies of the east and so gained favor with the Tokugawa and were promised a peaceful life in exchange for their aid. The demons who fought beside the Western Army allied themselves with the Toyotomi, however. they were suddenly at risk of reprisals from the victors."

Ah...So that's what happened. We split up even more. But why was my clan-?

"Several of the Opposition domains, such as the Satsuma and Choshu agreed to take us in, having heard stories of our power. Kazama Chikage, the head of the Kazama family is attempting to use this most recent commotion in the human world to reunite the fractured clans.

"Why?"

"His reason are simple enough. He wants to return this country to the rule of demons."

"No!" 

I can barely hear them. I can't pass out right now. Just hold it a bit more, Haruna. Just another minute.

"And do you share his intentions and desires?"

"I see nothing wrong with remaining hidden from the world. I have no wish to leave my mark on history and would much rather live in peace."

"I'm not interested in letting you buy more time. If you have something, say it."

"Hmph. Out of your respect for you skill, I will let you leave." And with that, he returned to his original form and left the forest."

"It seems this fight is over. Chizuru, were there any men among the injured unable to walk?"

"No, I don't think so..."

"Then we will make for the magistrate's office. Come with me."

"Okay! Oh, Haruna. are you coming too?... Haruna?

I can't take it anymore... I'm going to pass out-

"Haruna!" Oh no! Look at all this blood!"

Saito grimaced. "I'll carry her. We need to return to the magistrate's office."

When I regained my consciousness  I heard the cracking sound of gunshots. Chizuru jumped and Saito  looked over to her.

"Calm down. If you make too much noise, they'll find us."

Chizuru then sat down next to me as small as she could and put her hands over her mouth.

"The sun will set soon. Once it does, their guns will be useless."

I moved my shoulder a bit to see that it didn't hurt anymore, but there were more bandages than the last time.

"Chizuru...where are we?" I whispered.

"Haruna! You're awake. Saito took us to Mount Hachiman." she whispered with her hands still over her mouth. 

"...Oh"

"You're awake. Did you hear what I said to Chizuru?"

I nodded. In return I received a nod from him before he turned around.

Eventually, the sun set and the forest fell into darkness. The gunshots slowed, then stopped. Suddenly, it was very quiet. Saito peered out from our hiding place, then spoke in a low whisper.

"It will be difficult for them to aim or load their guns now. It's time to move."

"Okay. Haruna, can you move?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

We stepped out of the thicket we had been hiding in and headed off down the mountain.

"Aah!"

We hadn't been walking long when the guns opened fire again, likely having heard our footsteps. This time however, they seemed to be shooting anywhere and everywhere, not directly at us. The could see the shadows moving and hear our footsteps it seemed, but between the darkness and the intervening trees, actually targeting us was proving difficult.

"We might actually be able to join up with the rest of the men at this rate."

"...Yes."

Saito had only just spoken when I heard another voice echo out from the trees and it made my blood run cold. No...

"Who do you plan to join exactly? Twice as many insects are still insects."