Chapter 11

~Why not listen to music while you read?~

July 1864-

It's been 7 months now since I went 200 years back in time. I have almost lost all hope of ever returning back to my time period. At least I am able to leave the compound more often after the fight at the inn.

Today, without Chizuru, I was out on patrol with Harada and the 10th Division.

"Excuse me Harada? I know of the Shinesengumi through the textbooks but what exactly is it that you do?"

"Hmm, well, I guess we do about everything. Obviously we arrest people who decide they want to test out their swords on the townsfolk, and we go after people who steal or don't pay for their food. Sometimes, we break up fights."

"Ah, you are just like the modern day police men then."

"You have people like us in the future?"

"Yeah, they're pretty similar to the Shinsengumi. They pretty much do the same things as the Shinsengumi"

Harada's answer wasn't really the answer I was hoping for. Most of their stuff wasn't as dramatic as I thought it was.

Down the road was a couple of men in the Shinsengumi uniform waving at us.

"Nagakura! Chizuru!"

Our separate rounds had brought us to the same spot.

"Well, Shinpachi? You find anything exciting?" asked Harada.

"No, nothing in particular, but... Well, all of the people on the street are acting... busy you know.

I didn't notice it before but he was right. They were acting strange, almost nervous.

"Yeah, It looks like they're getting ready to move." I say while scanning the area.

"You think they're worried about getting caught in the middle of a war?"

War? There is going to be a war?

"Oh you didn't hear? Well, those Choshu guys are showing up around Kyoto again. That's why we have extra watches these days."

"Well, we did give them a bit of a bloody nose at Ikedaya. I can't imagine they'll just stand around with some of their guys in the ground."

Will the Choshu try something again? I wish I payed more attention in History class so much right now.

The Shinsengumi were doing their best to keep order in Kyoto. In fact, they had saved the city from the rebellious plans of the Choshu once before, with their victory at Ikedaya's. But even after all they'd done, the people looked at the Shinsengumi with fear and distrust, and plenty of them still sided with the Choshu.

"If they don't back off soon, we're probably gonna be getting new orders all the way from the top." 

For the Shinsengumi, the top meant the Aizu Domain.

"It's that serious, huh." I said.

Harada gave us a bark of laughter and nodded. "Well, chances like this only come around every so often. Who knows when the next one will be? You two wanna join us?"

"What?!" exclaimed Chizuru.  

Did he mean for us to join the Shinsengumi, and literally march to war with them? I kind of want to join though. My curiosity is going to kill me someday. Even if I could, I was terribly frightened of being anywhere near a battle.

I made a decision. "I...want to come." And Chizuru nodded along with my answer. "We want to help."

Several Days Later-

"Excuse us." Chizuru said before opening the door. Carefully, Chizuru and I lifted the platters with it's tea for the captains and made my way into the common room.

"Thanks. Man... It's almost like you're our servants or something." 

"No, it's fine."

I was a waitress in the future so serving food and drinks didn't bother me.

After serving the tea the door flew open revealing Kondou with a stern face. "The Shinsengumi has received an official request from the Aizu Domain. All available soldiers are to begin preparations to move out immediately."

The room broke out into a cheer.

"It seems the Aizu have finally noticed the hard work we've been doing men."

Apparently, getting orders directly from the Aizu was an occasion for some excitement. Hijikata, however was the lone exception.

"We don't have time for this! Stop patting each other on the back and get moving! We gotta go, now!"

He went on to explain that the soldiers of the Choshu had already spent some time preparing for their own attack.

"So they only realize there might  be a problem when the Choshu are ready to attack Kyoto? This is bs."

Hijikata certainly seemed unhappy about  the direction things had gone. If the Aizu had asked for help earlier, then the Shinsengumi would have much more time to prepare.

"Okita and Toudou, you will remain here, at the compound.. I doubt you will like this order, but, well, neither do I." Sanan said while rubbing his left arm. "You're injuries will keep you active from duty, as does mine."

"Hey, I'm completely healed. I might not be 100% yet, but I'm not bleeding or anything." Okita argued.

"You're making a big deal out of nothing! This is just a scratch!" Toudou agreed. 

"Oh yeah... You two said you wanted to go with us if we got called in, right? You still up for that?" asked Nagakura.

"Ah, yes. Well, I see no reason why not. After all, it isn't often that one is given such an opportunity. " agreed Kondou.

Wait... What" I did not expect Kondou to agree so easily.

"Whoa, Well, you two sure got lucky. Make sure you do us proud, all right?"  Heisuke said while smiling.

Hijikata then glanced at us and sighed. "We can't promise you won't get hurt, or worse. You should stay here."

"Do you wish to place unwanted burdens on the Shinsengumi? War is not something one does to ease one's boredom." Sanan said seriously while smiling.

Oh, how I wish his face would match the words he said.

"Colonel Sanan, can I take that to mean that s long as they do not cause a burden, they are free to accompany us?" Saito asked.

Did Saito just stand up for us? Seriously, though. He doesn't seem like the type.

"You can't be saying you're actually in favor of bringing them along?"

That's a bit rude Mr. Sanan.

Saito just simply shrugged. "The were an asset at Ikedaya. I only meant to point out that, judge by their actions, they have hardly provena 'burden' thus far."

I could feel the heat on my cheeks. I never would have thought that Saito would ever praise us.

"Excellent! I will take full responsibility for your inclusion. That is, of course, if you still wish to participate." Kondou said smiling warmly.

Chizuru and I nodded. "Yes, We would like to participate."