Chapter 75

~Why not listen to music while you read?~

Saito frowned lightly. "I see... That would explain the strange way in which the rasetsu we interrogated died."

The man earlier left nothing behind except white ash... Did he use up all the energy of his life and simply burned out? Then... that meant that someday Saito would-!

"Ahahahahaha! So wracked with despair that you can't even speak? How many times have you turned into a rasetsu? Every time you use that power, you bring your own death that much closer! Are you miserable? Devastated? Why, I imagine you've entirely lost your will to fight!"

His laughter grew more and more maniacal, echoing up and down the hall until, "What makes you think that's gonna get us all upset?" The voice behind me was familiar...

"Heisuke?! What are you doing here?" My mouth dropped.

"Hijikata told me to go back. He said he didn't need me around if my heart wasn't there too." He gave me a laugh and then turned to glare at Kodou. "You're saying every time we get strong or heal quick or whatever, we're just shortening our lives? ...So what? Back in Kyoto, we spent everyday not knowing if we'd even see the next one. On the nights before it was my turn to take point on rounds, a lot of the time I couldn't even sleep. I knew there was a good chance I'd get chopped up by some punk the next day. So you really think a guy who's lived through that is gonna piss himself just because you tell him his life might be a little shorter?! Am I right Hajime?!"

Saito grinned. "Yes, Yes you are." After the crucible of Shinsengumi life in Kyoto, there was very little that could frighten or intimidate a man like Saito.

"The life you get is the hand you're dealt. You just play that hand as best you can and hope you win the jackpot! I can't imagine living any other way!" Heisuke's hair turned white and he leaped toward Kodou, his blade out.

"Gah!" Blood splattered onto the floor, but Kodou's wound had already begun to heal by the time the last drop fell.

"I'll take care of this guy Hajime. You go on ahead! Soon as I finish him off, I'll catch up! Alright... Time for a little demon hunting I think!" He turned his head over his shoulder and grinned at us.

Saito's white hair disappeared and nodded back. "...Very well. I will be waiting for you."

We climbed a set of stairs to find ourselves in a massive hall. It would have been a busy and noisy place when filled. On the dais at the fair end of the room, where the lord of the castle would have sat, were two men. They were the only other people there and yet their presence filled the space entirely.

"...Why did you bring her?" I saw rage flicker across Amagiri's face the moment he saw me. Kazama, on the other hand, stood, a horrific smile twisting his mouth.

"Isn't it obvious? She is a gift. How long has it been? There were so many of you Shinsengumi back then. A force to be reckoned with. Not many of you left now, though..."

Saito did absolutely nothing.

"Well, you've done a good job. Now, return the precious female demon to me."

"I didn't bring her here to hand her over to you."

"I see. Why is she here, then?"

"I intend to defeat you and protect her. She is here because I know I can do both of those things."

Kazama roared with sudden laughter. "Hahahahahaha! Oh, how rich! You're going to defeat me and protect her?! Have you already forgotten about Toba-Fushimi? You couldn't even touch me. Even after you drank the Ochimizu and put up a decent fight, you only lived because I showed you compassion."