Chapter 47

~Why not listen to music while you read?~

With that, the actual battle began. Countless Satsuma poured into the narrow street in an attempt to choke us with sheer numbers. Nagakura's sword flickered and leaped utterly unconcerned with any odds. I shuffled back to Chizuru's position and moved her to a safer spot and stayed with her. Heisuke can handle it now.

"All you've got is numbers! Anyone who wants to die, come at me!"

"It looks like the other girl just arrived! You should've handed them over when you had the chance. Don't think I'll let you die quickly!

"Ha. Careful Shiranui. There's a lot of people here. If you shoot, you're more likely to hit one of our own men than me."

"Dammit! I can't get a good shot...! You're all useless and more  than that, you're in my way!"

He kicked out furiously at a nearby Satsuma soldier who'd had the misfortune to stumble on Shiranui's line of fire.

"...Wow..."

I knew Nagakura, Harada, and Heisuke were skilled swordsmen, but I'd never seen them fight the way they did that night. Several of the Shinsengumi soldiers made a wall around us and I watched as the captains tossed foes aside like they were made of straw. Then, from across the battlefield, I heard Amagiri's basso rumble.

"You mean to challenge me on your own? I suppose your courage is admirable."

"Yeah, well, unfortunately we're a little short on men, so you're just gonna have to fight me!"

"Even in single combat you were unable to defeat me. This situation is hardly more ideal. What do ou intend to do?

Even swords weren't enough to stop Amagiri's fists and Heisuke, with his small frame was driven back. He's too much for you Heisuke! Don't challenge him! The Satsuma pressed in, looking for an advantage.

"Dammit!"

"He's surrounded!" Heisuke's plight distracted me from my own, which was a mistake I regretted almost immediately. Before I realized what was happening, two Satsuma soldiers burst  through the Shinsengumi line, charging straight toward us.

"Gah! Watch out!"

There was no time to fight them both and leave them unscathed. I don't have a choice. They were getting closer. I pulled out both sword and wakizashi from their scabbards and moved.

"Ah!" That was Chizuru's scream. I had pierced the chest on one, straight through the heart and the other had taken my wakizashi through the throat. I just killed someone...

With Heisuke distracted from the past scene, Amagiri took a chance to attack. His fists moved horribly, painfully slow andHeisuke had no room to block.

"Hurk....gaaaaaah!"

"Noooooo!" Chizuru's ragged scream echoed across the battlefield.

"Heisuke!"

"Dammit! Outta my way!"

"How can they be so strong?! Retreat! Retreat! Go, go!"

"They're running? First they get in my way and then they just give up? Bah! I guess there's no helping it..."

Harada's blade became a snarling monstrous whirlwind of death and before it the Satsuma and their demon allies were pushed back until they finally withdrew. Not one of the Guardians of the Imperial Tom still stood. The street of Aurano Koji ran red. My hands were smeared with red. The words Heisuke coughed out were...red.

"Ha... Looks like I screwed up..."

"Don't talk, dammit...! Shit, this is bad!"

Heisuke...

"Dammit, Heisuke! You can't die here!"

Was he really going to die? If only I were stronger. If only I knew who I was from the beginning, this wouldn't have happened. I would have been able to fight Amagiri. 

"No! You can't die, Heisuke!" Chizuru was shivering, but she reached out to wipe the blood desperately from his cheek.

"Sorry, I...I wanted to be there for you a little longer... Heh... Screwed up pretty good...didn't I...? Sorry, Chizuru....You too, Haruna....I made you kill those two and dirtied your hands... I'm sorry...

Heisuke...You don't have anything to apologize for. If anything I should be apologizing. I knew of his strength but I just stood there...and didn't say a word.

"I'm fine... Don't...worry about...me..."

We ran to through the night, Nagakura and Harada bearing Heisuke's bloody and beaten body back to the Shinsengumi. Every minute felt like an hour and with every second my heart felt that much closer to tearing in half.