Chapter 44

~Why not listen to music while you read?~

November 1867

It has been months since I left the Shinsengumi. I now live in Yase Village with the Princess Yase and her protector, Kimigiku. The Yase village is located deep inside a forest mountain with a barrier to keeps humans out. Sen told me that if humans come in contact with it, the lose their way and end up at the base of the forest.

Since my arrival, I have been receiving training from Kimigiku to protect the princess. This is the training that I never received when I was a child. As a demon from the Suzumori clan, I was happy, but as Suzumori Haruna, I was sad. All I could think about was the Shinsengumi. Were they well? Were they getting enough sleep and taking care of their health?

"Your reactions are to slow! I told you, you always need to be thinking one or two steps ahead of your opponent!"

Kimigiku never goes easy on me. Well, I don' blame her. I have lost many years of training since the destruction of my clan.

"You must understand your own lack of power! There is no way you would be able to fight anyone with with a proper sword. Your aim is not to defeat the enemy! It is to protect the princess!"

"Yes, Kimigiku!" 

"Thank you." My training was over after four hours. Standing several paces away from Kimigiku, I bow to her, as I do after every training session

"You have improved greatly since our first training session, but don't forget what I've told you today. I won't always be around to tech you, you know.

"Yes, Kimigiku."

"Shall we go eat dinner then?"

"Yes!"

Kimigiku and I walked deeper into the already secluded Yase village until we reached Hakkakudo Hall. This place was where the Ten Demon Alliance gathered. I remembered idolizing the chieftains from other clans when I was little. It was so nostalgic.

However there was something I did not know.. The night I had left for Yase village, Kazama and his companions broke into the Shinsengumi Headquarters in search for us.

Today, Kimigiku and I would be spying on Sakamoto Ryoma for updates or just plain information. He was a ronin from the Tosa Domain and had allied himself with the Satsuma and Choshu Domains as well. For a time, the Kyoto Judiciary Commissioner, Mimawarigumi and even the Shinsengumi were desperate to find him. After his orchestration of the Restoration of Imperial Rule, however, orders were passed down to leave him alone.

To our disappointment, Sakamoto Ryoma had been assassinated and our mission was now useless But that didn't mean our job was over. We still seek information regarding his death. We learned that a scabbard belonging to a member of the Shinsengumi was found at the crime scene and that the officials believe it was Harada.

Walking in the streets of Kyoto in search for information, Kimigiku and I had a conversation. "Do you think is was Harada who assassinated Sakamoto?"

"Harada? He isn't the type of person to do that. Besides, he prefers the spear anyway. I don't think he would've used his sword. "

"Hmm. There was talk that Miura Kyutaro from Kishi asked the Shinsengumi though... I wonder who murdered him."

Soon, the conversation changed to medicinal plants and it's uses. Being the protector of the Princess Yase meant I would have to know this. We walked around town for hours but there wasn't any information worthy to talk about. But there were rumors that Saito had returned from the Shinsengumi and that made me happy. 

"I wish I could have been there to welcome him back."

"Hmm? Did you say something?"

"Ah, no. It's nothing."

I brushed it off with a smile as we walked back to Yase Village. I really do miss them. I really do.