Chapter 18

~Why not listen to music while you read?~

"What the hell does Kondou see in that guy?" Okita half mumbled with a dark and stormy face.

"How the hell would I know? Probably just pulled the wool over Kondou's eyes with some well-spoken bullshit."

"Then why don't you get rid of him, Hijikata? Tell him the Shinsengumi doesn't need him."

Ah that's right! I finally remembered! Itou was assasinated by the Shinsengumi! But around that time I think Sanan commit honorable suicide...I wonder if it is alright to tell everyone, I think to myself while biting my lip.

As if catching my frustration, Saito turned and asked, "Are you alright?"

"Uh...uh I'm fine..." I stutter. There is no doubt about it. Saito will find it suspicious.

"Really? Okay then."

It was that easy? He didn't ask, I say to myself while letting out my breath. Maybe I will tell Hijikata some other time... but I really shouldn't do anything that could possibly alter history.

While I was thinking about this, Hijikata let out a frustrated sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"No way Kondou will go for that. He adores Itou. Besides, when he joined he brought a bunch of men with him. You think they won't make a stink if we kick him out?"

"Well damn! Aren't you supposed to be the Demon? The commander from Hell? You're supposed to make the impossible happen!"

"Fine Souji, how about we make you commander. Then you can kick Itou and his guys out, right?"

"Ha! Hell no! That's way too much trouble." he said with a grin and laugh but when his finished, he sighed and his face fell.

Everyone seemed to be unhappy with Itou, but none of them knew quite what to do about him. I have finally decided. I will just stay silent and wait for the outcome. Telling events of the future can be risky.

After the meeting I was called by Saito after everyone had left. He found my behavior suspicious! I just know it!

"Back in the meeting room, you looked frustrated. Would you like to talk about it?"

Should I tell him? Well, he isn't someone who acts on emotions. Maybe I can tell him.

"Do you like Itou too, Saito?

He looked at me for a moment, then spoke. "As an organization grows, it will expand to include people who have differing ideas and points of views."

Does that mean he supports Itou's appointment to Deputy Commander?

"However, if one attempts to force this sort of diversity, then the organization will begin to rot from within."

"I see... It was nothing. I just wanted to know your judgement, but please keep an eye out for Sanan.

Smiling slightly I turned around after bowing to him and walked back to my room. 

The setting sun glowed through the windows with a warm, rich red and we decided to move outside in the hope that it might raise our spirits.

"It's cold." Chizuru said while rubbing her arms.

Nodding my head, I agreed. Despite the sun, spring seemed far away. I have been with the Shinsengumi for so long now that I am pretty used to everything now. I sometimes wonder if I could leave. I have gotten pretty close with everyone here. Could I?

"I really wish his arm would just heal..." Chizuru once again said to herself.

I want Sanan's arm to heal as well. If we were in the 21st century we could've healed Sanan's arm, I thought to myself when I remembered. 

"If push comes to shove, he'll have to take it. I don't think Sanan's just going to give up."

"Don't jinx him, Souji. It's gonna look bad if officers start joining the Corps."

The Corps? What is that? I never heard about these "Corps" in the textbooks. The Shinsengumi definitely have something. I don't know what it is but from the way they were talking about it, it made it seem like an unpleasant thing. 

No, wait I do remember something. It seemed that it has the capacity to heal wounds, and it has something to do with the "Corps." And it's also something we aren't supposed to know about. If they learned how much I had picked up or what I had put together on my own, I had no doubt that I would be in serious trouble. It was possible that they would even kill me.