Chapter 29

Note- Sorry about the delay. Wattpad said that they were going under maintenance so I was unable to update.

~Why not listen to music while you read?~

"There's something I've already been keeping secret. I just can't bring myself to tell her..."

Is he talking about Chizuru?He looked up at the sky for a moment.

"There is...a rumor that Kodou is working for a group of extremists. Some of the imperial nationalist ronin. How could I tell her that?"

That must be horrible. Her father was working with the nationalists?

"Well sometimes you get the bear..."

"...and sometimes the bear gets you. Yes, I know. Well, I'll be around in the future, to come by and check on you. Make sure you don't push yourself too hard, alright?

"Thanks, Doc."

What should I tell Chizuru? Should I even tell her? While lost in thought, I hadn't realized that Dr. Matsumoto had already left.

Okita still sat on the bench, alone, gazing out into the courtyard.

"Haruna."

Shoot! He knew I was here!

"...C'mon Haruna. You can come out now."

He turned and looked straight at me, his mouth twisted up in a half self satisfied smile. Well, no point in hiding it now. I took a deep breath and stepped toward him.

"It's alright, come sit down over here."

He gave me a grin and patted the bench next to him. I couldn't bear to look into his eyes. I should have said something about his illness earlier. If I did, maybe he would have been able to prevent it...

I kept my eyes lowered to the ground as I sat next to hid. The maddening silence  made m head feel light yet heavy at the same time.

"You didn't buy all that crap the doctor was saying, did you? C'mon, do I really look like I'm sick?nI don't want you to take this seriously-"

"I...I knew about your illness...long before you ever got symptoms of it..."

"And you didn't tell me...he he he."

"I wasn't sure if...you wanted to know about your own death...so I didn't say anything."

"If you tell anybody, then I'll probably have to kill you after all."

"You say that way too often, Okita..."

I could feel the tears starting to form in my eyes  but this wasn't the time. With hard effort I forced the sobs back. 

"...Yeah, I guess I do."

He stood up, and after a second, I followed suit.

"Okita. I won't tell anyone about your illness. I promise."

He turned around and we both looked into each other's eyes.

"...Thanks." 

His smile was the most gentle and honest I had ever seen from him. And it tore me apart.