Chapter 14

~Why not listen to music while you read?~

 I decided to remain at Hamaguri Gate with Saito. Before long, the rest of the Shinsengumi was gone, and it was time for us to begin our own mission.

"First, we must speak with the Aizu on behalf of the Shinsengumi."

I totally forgot. The Shinsengumi were initially been ordered to stand with the reserves. Instead, we had chosen to march into battle. Saito was probably right to try and smooth things over with the Aizu as soon as possible.

"If you like, I can take care of that. I imagine recent events have thrown their commanders into confusion. They shouldn't impede us." Yamazaki said in monotone.

Saito contemplated that for a moment, then nodded. "Then I will leave that task to you, Yamazaki. Send word for me if you encounter any difficulty."

Yamazaki bowed once, then turned on his heel and disappeared.

There were some men in two different uniforms arguing over something. I guessed it was the Aizu and Satsuma Domains.

"What are they arguing about?" I asked.

Saito's eyes narrowed. "I assume over who will take credit for this battle... How petty."

"Oh." was the only thing I could say. Saito was pretty hard to talk to. 

Just then, one of the Satsuma men noticed us.

"Who's... wait, is this the Shinsengumi? Really? You do realize they're just a bunch of peasants, right?"

"You hear that, boys? The Aizu are too scared to come to a fight if they don't have some ronin bums to back them up!"

That was highly rude of them. We are all people no matter what our background is right? To judge someone because of social status made me angry.

The faces of the Shinsengumi became stiff, and more than on hand moved toward a sword. Saito, however, was implacable as ever.

"Ignore them. You have a job to do."

He swept his cool gaze slowly and purposefully over the men, looking each one of them in the eye. They shifted uncomfortably, but their hands dropped from their swords.

"You peasant! How dare you!" 

The Aizu soldier's face was bright red, and his sword hand shook as he held it ready for an attack. The situation was getting worse. If something wasn't done, blood will soon spill.

Before anyone from the Satsuma could respond, a tall man stepped through them and out into the space between the two factions.

"You'll face me? Then taste my steel!" yelled the Aizu soldier.

I can't look! I covered my eyes with my hands and waited for the outcome in dread.

Saito dashed forward, almost too fast to see, and stopped before the charging man. "Stop. He's far too strong for you."

"I apologize for the trouble we caused at the inn. I believe I had a duel with a boy named Toudou. If his injury hasn't healed yet, then please tell him that I apologize for not showing restraint."

He's the one who injured Heisuke? And I doubt the way he was apologizing would make Heisuke feel any better.

"It was you who defeated Toudou then, then... Yes I supposed that would fit. I imagine the Satsuma sent you to the inn as spies, to learn what the Choshu were planning?"

The man simply shrugged and tilted his head to the side almost quizzically.

Saito took a step toward him.

My eyes went wide. 

The tip of Saito's sword was only a millimeter from the man's forehead. He had drawn it so fast, i didn't even see the blur of silver as it left the scabbard.

Undisturbed, the man glanced down at Saito.

"The Shinsengumi has unfinished business with you. Not today, perhaps, but Toudou will have his revenge."

There was something in Saito's voice that I never heard from him before...anger.

"Perhaps, but I have no reason to fight the Shinsengumi today." he replied calmly.

How long was this going to go on? I can understand why Saito is upset but is this really a good time to settle a grudge? Should I wait and trust him? or should I stop him? I decided to trust him and wait.

He must have somehow sensed my decision because just for a moment, his eyes turned to me, and he smiled.

"I have no interest in escalating this situation. Our goals are the same. However, we can not overlook any further insults. If you persist, then the Aizu Domain and the Shinsengumi will have no choice but to take action."

The tall mad nodded deeply. "It is true that our speech and conduct has been unbecoming. I offer my apologies on behalf of the Satsuma Domaon."

Saito returned the man's nod, and slid his sword back into it's scabbard.

"My name is Amagiri Kyuju. I pray that we will be able to work together when the next we meet."

His introduction finished, he turned and walked slowly back through the ranks of the Satsuma, towering above them as he went.

"Saito. You never intended to fight him, did you?" 

After a short silence, he spoke. "I had hoped he would back down when given a display of my iai (a martial art technique where one strikes and finishes off their opponent in one smooth motion from the starting position of the sword inside the sheath. It's focus is the quick draw.) but it would seem he saw right through my ruse."

"Hmm." I said. If only I knew sword technique terminology!

Clearing that from my mind, we walked back to Hamaguri Gate to await Yamazaki's return.