the queer cousin (Ciphercest)

Mention of abuse

PoV Will
My husband had the tv turned on when I entered the living room. Some kind of talk show.

"Who's Claire interviewing this time?", I asked when I realized it was our friends show.

"Don't know. But we'll find out.", said Bill. I put the lau dry down and sat next down next to him.

Bill put an arm around my shoulders. I couldn't into him.

The show began with a magical number and suddenly I felt like someone  had stabbed me.

I knew this colour, the smoke, everything! Then my cousins entered the room. Mason and Mabel had grown really well and they looked so much like adults, I almost started to cry.

"Aren't that the telepathy twins? Hey, are you okay?", my husband asked softly.

I remembered them so well. They had been so small and full of happiness. Now they wore my fathers emotionless mask.

The two sat down in their chairs.

"I raised these two...", I whispered.

The twins answered some questions about themselves and their shows. Then Claire asked:

"Do you have any other siblings or perhaps cousins?"

I held my breath.

"No. It's just us." ,Mabel stated. I could feel my blood run cold. I knew, my father was lying me out of his life , but these two? Of course.

Then they got to the point in the talk show, where viewers could call in and ask questions.

I called in.

Claire knew me by my number, I guess that's why I was in so quickly.

"Next we got a call from Piemont, California. What is your question?", my friend ask.

I took a deep breath. Then I asked: "What happened to your cousin, William?"

I could see all colors leave their faces.

"He used to work backstage, didn't he? Where is he now?", I asked.

"We do prefer not to talk about him. He ran away when we were twelve.", Mabel huffed.

"I see. Thank you.", I said. Then I hung up.

I'm sorry Claire.

I spend the rest of the evening crying and screaming into pillows.

All the trauma my father put me through came bubbling up suddenly. All the years. All the pain, the tears. The nights I spend locked in my room. The fear of my father and the inevitable happening.

I was a disgrace to him, nothing but that.

Suddenly someone burst through my door and wasn't Bill. I saw that she was angry, but only until Claire realized in what kind of panicky crying I was caught in.

"William, what was that?", she asked softly. I turned away, hiding my arm, since I had scratched it bloody again.

"Where's Bill?" , she sighed.

"He's trying to get my some vanilla icecream...", I sniffed.

"Oh, William. Tell me, what's going on?", my friend asked.

"I-I...I can't believe they would just ly me out of their lifes too. I knew father did it, but Mabel and Mason? I, I raised them! I taught Mabel how to braid her hair, I was the one who showed them how to ride their bikes!", I sobbed. Claire seemed confused.